Wasps and firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working up a good sized Willow last week. The fresh cut rounds get instantly visited by wasps (mud daubers). They don't seem to care what is going on around them, set wedges and pound the p*** out of them, no problem. Wasp in the way to pick up a round? Just brush it out of the way. Wasps on a chunk to be loaded? Just pitch it on the truck. I have seen this repeatedly over 20 years and have never been stung. I have even smashed one amongst a group with a sledge and the others paid no mind.

I did quit today as one started making runs on my head...well, it was break time anyhow. The stuff I was splitting has been drying for over a week so I figued maybe the sap is getting too dry to suit 'em.

Harry K

I have noticed all flying insects attracted to freshly cut wood. I was playing with my 441 today bucking up some 26 inch hackberry and couldnt believe how the flies and horseflies swarmed the wood. I bet I killed 5 or 6 by them flying into the chain at WOT.

Around here it is the seasoned wood you have to watch
especially white oak the bark attracts black widows I
don't know how many I kill each year but makes me look
also scorpions! Wasps seem like they're everywhere.

it's been the yellow jackets lately buzzing around the wood. but, i've always noticed that in the fall, they seem to be more docile than in the summer. they aren't as aggressive, but bothersome nonetheless.

but, as i was moving the wood from one place to another, i noticed some large spiders. up here in NY i don't think we have any dangerous ones, but some of you guys must have some like the brown recluse or black widows.....right?

Was out today to begin a new tree. Weather was cool (60s to mid 70s by noon). Not one fly, wasp or spider seen.

Picture078.jpg

Measures 36" at butt. Got about 90% of the brushing done. It is propped on many branches about 6' off ground. Will be interesting tomorrow to get it on the ground.

Picture083.jpg

Harry K

those mud daubers are to busy working to want to sting,I'm not sure they even sting people.
they bore into wood to place a host insect"usually a caterpillar" and then lay an egg in with the insect inside and seal it over.
when the egg hatches it has the host insect in there to feed on until it hatches out as a new wasp.

those mud daubers are to busy working to want to sting,I'm not sure they even sting people.
they bore into wood to place a host insect"usually a caterpillar" and then lay an egg in with the insect inside and seal it over.
when the egg hatches it has the host insect in there to feed on until it hatches out as a new wasp.

I was referring to the ones that make the papery nests hanging from rafters, etc. Doesn't sound like the ones you describe. Guess I have the wrong name for 'em. I have been stung several times, sometimes only walking near the nest.

Was out again this morning, downright chilly and they showed up as soon as the first cut was made.

Harry K

yeah,that sounds like what we call a hornet in the northeast,they are nasty and very protective of their nests.
yellow jackets are bad around here in summer,nests in the ground,inside tractors,in stumps,hate those things.
whiteface hornets build paper nest about the size of basketballs,break one of those things open your in for a fight you can't win!!

Latest posts

Back