waste oil in a OWB ... ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used oil has lots of nasty stuff in it including mercury, lead and other heavy metals.

http://www.hcdoes.org/sw/recycle_motoroil.htm

Now as to the carthenigenic concerns on waste oil,where is the documentation as to pros and cons of using same as a source of heat?

What does Poison mean?

the unread link said:
"Used motor oil can contain such contaminants as arsenic, cadmium, benzene, lead, magnesium, zinc, and chlorinated compounds. These hazardous substances can negatively impact the environment by polluting our soil and water. The heavy metals found in waste oil can bioaccumulate in plant and wildlife, posing serious health risks to humans by poisoning the food chain."

Tonight I found out that motor oil vs fryer oil dripping into the hot coals in front of the blower are 2 tottaly different animals....
motor oil is way hotter and no smoke where the fryer oils burns but smokes and can be noticed in the air by the smell.
again this complete combustion can only happen for a couple of hours or will require raking of the coals into a proper pile for this to all work.
at this time I am only making a hotter fire that lasts longer more than I am getting a waste oil burner.
I am going to try a pot with a mix of steele screen and maybe steel wool in place of the coals but I am sure that it will work good untill my boiler gets to 180 and shuts down and the startup will not do its self and I will then endup with a ashpan full of oil.. and no fire.
I think a can set on top of a burning log with a small hole in it to drip oil on the fire is where I am at and have perfected...

I remember from last years posts that you heat a tremendous amount of area. Why not build a waste oil furnace for one of the outbuildings to ease the burden on the owb? If you google search you will find many simple plans, a good one is on mother earth news.
What is going to happen if you get a load of waste oil thats full of gas? BOOM I think. If it were my free oil, I'd build a waste oil furnace, and leave my owb as a wood boiler. Just my .02

Back