Wasted money!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Just a few bucks, and I'll get it back when I take this piece of junk back to Tractor Supply.

A couple weeks back I bought one of these thinking it'd be great for lighting the stove.

image_86.jpg

Bernz-O-Matic is a pretty good name, should be a decent product, right? Not a chance. On "High" setting, it needs a lighter to light it, ain't windproof either, a drafty window will put it out, and basically sucks to operate anyhow with the dual buttons of safety. The only thing that works as advertised is the little LED light in it, and that ain't real bright either.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=86

Just a heads up to anyone contemplating making this mistake.

I bought one as well, it was a piece of crap and i think i discovered it was crap when using ether to inflate a tire. Damn thing wouldn't light, and it went to the junk pile at the farm.

I'll tell u what I discovered is the ticket. Those new push button propane/map gas torches. Not the old style clickies that never light but the kind that put out an instant inferno with one button push like this one:
torch.jpg
A little pricey but works every time and puts out an impressive flame!

I'll tell u what I discovered is the ticket. Those new push button propane/map gas torches. Not the old style clickies that never light but the kind that put out an instant inferno with one button push like this one:
View attachment 333840
That's what I've been using for a while now, couldn't be happier.
A bottle of propane will last me over a year.

View attachment 333840

I also use this on a 1lb LP bottle. Works great and lasts forever. In the shop, mine has fired easily below zero.

I have one just like this in the pole barn with a mapp gas tank attached. Every now and then I need to thaw out the end of the garden hose with I fill the stock tank. The other day it was -25 below and one click from the botton and it light. The other torch stays lin the plumb'n tool box.... Spendy but well worth the money..

View attachment 333840

Ya can get the good old fashioned strike anywhere type matches on Amazon. Not the Blue Diamond green light crap, but real honest to goodness strike anywhere matches.

Mr. HE:cool:

I don't need matches much these days but when I do I reach for a good old fashioned box of real wood strike anywhere blue tip matches

Just a few bucks, and I'll get it back when I take this piece of junk back to Tractor Supply.

A couple weeks back I bought one of these thinking it'd be great for lighting the stove.

image_86.jpg

Bernz-O-Matic is a pretty good name, should be a decent product, right? Not a chance. On "High" setting, it needs a lighter to light it, ain't windproof either, a drafty window will put it out, and basically sucks to operate anyhow with the dual buttons of safety. The only thing that works as advertised is the little LED light in it, and that ain't real bright either.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=86

Just a heads up to anyone contemplating making this mistake.

I saw the "specs" for this thing under the link you posted. I'll bet my last dollar you just bought it for the bottle opener feature.

Why play around, this works great! Igniter built in.

Brush Torch.jpg or these work also. Blow Torch.jpg I like to use them on the short fat bottles.

I don't need matches much these days but when I do I reach for a good old fashioned box of real wood strike anywhere blue tip matches

Where are you getting blue tips? I've been unable to find them in some time.

I use this thing except with the chubby bottle. It hangs right with my stove shovel and poker and that log tong thing I never use (except to pinch the wife's butt if she happens to walk by)
I rarely have to use it unless the outside temps are warmer and I don't have to feed the stove on a regular cycle and it goes flat cold.
I also have an extension hose that will connect it to the 20 lb tanks.2230.jpg

Where are you getting blue tips? I've been unable to find them in some time.

I have an Amish store near me that sells them from time to time . That's all they use is the wooden kitchen matches

Back