Water Oak tree loosing leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lodom

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and really want to save a 7-year old Water Oak tree. It started loosing leaves last summer, and lost over 40% of the canopy before fall arrived. The problem came back this year and started in mid-May. Older leaves are turning an unusual camoflagued yellow and green mix with some brown scattered through out sporadically through out the tree and falling off. The problem is not concentrated in any one area of the tree and the leaves are not brown around the edges or curled. Almost all of the remaining leaves have at least one circular yellow area in at least one part of the leaf. The tree is putting out healthy new growth, especially after it is watered. I estimate the tree has lost over 30% of the canpoy already this year. A sample sent to the TN state office was said to not indicate bactorial leaf scorch. I'm currently awaiting the results of a soil sample.

I did not use any preemergents or insecticides in the yard last fall or this spring. Last Spring I did put down some Talastar granules to control grub worms in an effort to get rid of a mole problem I had, but no other shrubs or trees in the yard were affected.

Any suggests will be much appreciated.

Pictures, please.

Did TN say anything besides "no scorch"--any guesses what it was/?

See the link below re New Tree Planting. Find the Flare.

I'll try to get some pics, but so far nobody has a clue, except suggestions that a fungal problem might be the cause. The University of TN dept didn't come back with anything, except it wasn't bactorial leaf scorch.

Something is affecting the chlorophyl in the leaves. I had another arborist come out yesterday who seemed interested in pursuing the problem. He knows some other local experts who can hopefully shed some light.

Back