water useage owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My tank water is automatic filled on my H2,but for those who fill with rain water or other water .How often and how much do you use? Just wondering

I have a Woodmaster 4400 and i usually dont need to add any other when i change the water in the spring.

h2o

I fill mine at least once per month whether it needs it or not. catch mine in 5 gal buckets from the gutters usually 10-15 gallon at a time, excess just runs out the overflow. that way I kinda feel like i'm it freshining up.

My Mahoning has a sight tube which makes it easy to know when it needs a top off. Usually once a week I will open the valve and add a little water until I see it dripping out of the overflow tube.

I filled mine with water from my pond. My salinity count was too high to use my well water. Despite my high levels of salt, I do utilize the auto fill during the winter as I don't feel like messing with adding water manually. I don't think my H2 uses too much water as I hear the fill solenoid work about once every three weeks.

never

My CB5036 never needs water added. If you need to add water that might be a sign of a leak somewhere. If you add too much you will dilute the water treatment chemicals that I am sure you used when you filled it right ;)

My tank water is automatic filled on my H2,but for those who fill with rain water or other water .How often and how much do you use? Just wondering
it depends and I may have a leak but during the months when I'm only heating the water 1-2 gallons a month and running the heat about 5 gallons every 6 weeks. Like I said I may have a leak but its gonna have to get worse before I start digging.

My CB5036 never needs water added. If you need to add water that might be a sign of a leak somewhere. If you add too much you will dilute the water treatment chemicals that I am sure you used when you filled it right ;)

Never added chemicals to mine from day one, or checked them for that matter. Guess maybe i should place I bought mine from said I didnt have to worry about it since mine is all stainless steel?

My CB doesn't seem to ever need water....where does all this water go that you guys are adding? I check the water level but it's always full...
My dealer said I shouldn't have to add for years and he seems to be right so far.

Never add water to my CB5648 either, I'd be wondering where it was all going if I had to keep addin it for sure :monkey:

I know my Mahoning has a vent tube, a piece of pvc with a cap that has a 3/16 of an inch hole drilled in it. This piece of pvc slides into a rubber flange that is mounted to the top of the boiler. When it's cold enough I can see a steady flow of steam coming out of this vent which I think could be where some of the water is going in the form of steam.

Maybe a gallon every month or two. If I'm losing b/c of a leak it's going to need to get worse before I go looking.

Unless the water loss on the Hardy is a lot...like it needs filled every two days or so... I wouldn't suspect a leak. The Hardy has the condensation stack and you can always see some steam escaping from around it. This is the cause of my loss. I remember when I first had the Hardy I was always stressing over a potential leak but my fears were luckily never realized. Make sure your stack is pushed in all the way and crank up the heat!

I guess its evaportating.My H2 is an open system next to the stack there's a fill pipe and its not sealed.It has an automatic fill system that works with a float gauge.When the float drops the valve opens and fills the system.It doesn't add very much water though.The feed line is on 3/8 and its never ran more than 10 seconds at a time.It opens about 1 time every other week.

I think as someone else stated, the majority of loss is steam, so I think it depends on how your stove is vented as to how much loss is normal. CB must have a pretty good system, from what I've read they don't lose much water.
On my shaver I would lose prolly a half a gallon a weak, until I modified the vent, I haven't had to add any this winter yet.

Back