wax end sealer questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So, I got a bucket of wax end sealer from Baileys--good deal, I think. Even less than latex paint, which I've managed to use all of that I had laying around. I've read that you can use the wax emulsion type sealers in a pressure sprayer--the non-aerosol type, like a garden sprayer. Anybody done this without ruining a sprayer? Sure would make cleanup easy---hot water is a heck of a lot easier than paintbrushes and wax on my clothes, which will happen, no matter how careful I am.

Anybody done it??? Pros, cons?? Won't be doing it any time soon, without heating it up first!! HA. 19 outside now. 5 deg. couple nights ago. Nothing compared to the midwest, but freezing none theless, which isn't good for the sealer, I hear. I've gotten the understanding from a couple people the wax and the solvent seem to separate permanently if it freezes; it doesn't mix back together when thawed. Anyway, I'd love to hear from people who have done this before, pics would be great, but just a how-to would help a newbie out greatly. Thanks, all.

Nate

Just use a cheap fifty cent throw away paint brush. Cleaning up a sprayer is going to take longer than painting it on, your sealer is going to be too thick to spray except throught the strongest sprayers(which are expensive) and if you are sealing the ends of sawn boards rather than logs, you will inevitably have a lot of overspray on your lumber.

We use a sprayer all the time and have had no trouble with it and have never had it on are clothes. Heard not to let it go below 40 and did know about it permanently separating if it freezes so we may be in trouble when we open it next month. We have had one very cold winter this year with the temperature getting down to 17. Well that's cold here where we live which is about 30 miles from Florida.

Last edited:
I use AnchorSeal and have used it in a sprayer. All I have donw to clean it is was the bowl out with soap and hot water and then run another batch of the same through it to clean all of the inner parts. Works best on large pieces and log ends.

Its a great project for young kids who want to help dad.:hmm3grin2orange:

No kids yet, and my siblings are too old to con... I mean too old to be willing to help.

I would use the brush, but I want something easy and clean so I don't have to worry about getting it everywhere in my truck & stuff. I know I can keep clean if its in a sprayer. I always end up either getting dirt in paint, or paint on me. :dizzy:

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to seal the ends of several logs while still in the woods. a sprayer is just a little easier there than a paint can. Just throw it in the back of the truck & go.

brush-on sealer

I use anchorseal out of a 5-gal pail. I keep an old coffee cup in the pail and use it to ladle out the sealer into a large plastic jar with a screw top. This jar formerly held mixed nuts, and its volume is maybe 1 1/2 quarts. I fill it up about 2/3 full and keep a cheap 3" nylon paintbrush in the jar- if necessary, I cut off part of the brush handle so it sits in the jar without interfering with the screw top. This quantity is portable, ready to hand, and will coat quite a few log ends. Refill the jar as needed from the 5-gal pail. OK, so you get a little on your hand from grabbing the brush handle, but it's no big deal. Economical, too- no overspray.

Thanks. I may do that instead of the sprayer. I have a new empty jar that used to have (formerly salmonella infested) Peter Pan peanut butter in it. My dad was sick with a stomach bug for several days. Our serial # matches the recall......

I use anchorseal out of a 5-gal pail. I keep an old coffee cup in the pail and use it to ladle out the sealer into a large plastic jar with a screw top. This jar formerly held mixed nuts, and its volume is maybe 1 1/2 quarts. I fill it up about 2/3 full and keep a cheap 3" nylon paintbrush in the jar- if necessary, I cut off part of the brush handle so it sits in the jar without interfering with the screw top. This quantity is portable, ready to hand, and will coat quite a few log ends. Refill the jar as needed from the 5-gal pail. OK, so you get a little on your hand from grabbing the brush handle, but it's no big deal. Economical, too- no overspray.

That's pretty much what I do except I use a 2lb coffee can and I cut a hole in the lid and let the brush handle stick through that, while the brush part is submerged. This way no messy hands (yeah right) :rock:

Back