weed eater into brush clearer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I have 20 acres that i have been in the process of clearing trails through for the past 8 months or so. These wood are older buy the house with larger trees and more "clear" as fare as brush and such. That pare wasn't so bad. The back of the woods and north side are younger woods that used to be a corn field and are partially low land swamp with small trees (.5"-2" diameter) and lots of brush. It is kicking my A$$ clearing this part out because it is so packed full of this crap. You literally cant walk through it. you HAVE to clear you way through. I know i could get someone with a bulldozer to run through it but we are next to a lot of swamp and im positive it will get stuck back there.

I have this newer curved shaft 4 stroke weed eater (yardman) that I got for around the house a few years ago. it was only like $100 at MENARDS and I was wondering if this kind of blade would do OK for clearing the brush? or would it be to much work for it and inevitably kill it weed-eater?

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...441244366-c-10111.htm?tid=2318100206681502067

Like this? I know its horriffic resolution.image.png If so I doubt its got enough power. You need a LS swap.

-chimpboy

For what you're talking about, a large displacement trimmer with a blade like this will knock your socks off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=stih...iw=360&bih=512#spd=4771136077557313274&spud=0

The sting of the investment will be replaced by giggles of delight as you now through it like it was nothing.

Even with a larger trimmer head, those 4 blade heads don't do well on saplings much over an inch, and they'll bounce the trimmer right out of your hands.

For what you're talking about, a large displacement trimmer with a blade like this will knock your socks off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=stih...iw=360&bih=512#spd=4771136077557313274&spud=0

The sting of the investment will be replaced by giggles of delight as you now through it like it was nothing.

Even with a larger trimmer head, those 4 blade heads don't do well on saplings much over an inch, and they'll bounce the trimmer right out of your hands.

could you give a good example of a middle of the road priced "large displacement trimmer" that would be adequate for the job? I honestly have no idea what to look at that would have the needed power.

In order to use a blade on a trimmer you need to at least be using a straight shaft trimmer. If you read the packaging on the blades it will tell you that. If you want to move easily you will want one of the higher powered trimmers. Under-powered with a curved shaft is a recipe for frustration. I would rather use a corn knife than one of those because I know it would get the job done. Unfortunately a corn knife means getting in close and sometimes thorns can be a problem.

In order to use a blade on a trimmer you need to at least be using a straight shaft trimmer. If you read the packaging on the blades it will tell you that. If you want to move easily you will want one of the higher powered trimmers. Under-powered with a curved shaft is a recipe for frustration.
Understood. But what CC range do i need to be looking at to be consider adequate for the job

I have this newer curved shaft 4 stroke weed eater (yardman) that I got for around the house

Never use a curved shaft trimmer with a blade. The angle makes it want to come right back at you if it bounces. Get a good straight shaft trimmer and a Renegade Blade from Ebay.
10443019_10205371830870629_4745852618825338366_o.jpg

I've cleared acres of that stuff too thick to walk through that I never wouldve been able to any other way. You will not be sorry.

Now would be the time to doze swamp, before things thaw out.

there is actually more water in it in the winter than the drier months of the summer. it is just a little to warm this winter and the swamp is wet right now. last summer it was dry as a bone and would have been perfect.

You really want to be in the 40 plus cc range, and for the acreage you have, bigger is better. A bicycle handle style with harness is going to save your back.

A stihl fs460 would be a nice choice. The thing to remember is these brushcutting heads ads more stress to the driveline as well, not just the engine, and shafts get expensive to fix. Spend the money once on a good one, and you'll save money and time in the long run.

I have a junk 28cc Craftsman 2 cycle weed eater with a Gator brush cutter head on it. Mine is a straight shaft. We clear walking lanes through our woods with it. It takes several seconds to wind up to RPM's, it vibrates like crazy, makes my arms itch from vib's. It is a tad frightening with this thing spinning on the end. It will work but it is what it is, slow going and I know it wont last long. We bought a DR brush mower, what a blessing. Walt

I have a junk 28cc Craftsman 2 cycle weed eater with a Gator brush cutter head on it. Mine is a straight shaft. We clear walking lanes through our woods with it. It takes several seconds to wind up to RPM's, it vibrates like crazy, makes my arms itch from vib's. It is a tad frightening with this thing spinning on the end. It will work but it is what it is, slow going and I know it wont last long. We bought a DR brush mower, what a blessing. Walt
can you use the brush mower for the small saplings like .5" diameter and smaller and pricker bush kinda stuff? I may just get that if it works good for that kind of stuff.

can you use the brush mower for the small saplings like .5" diameter and smaller and pricker bush kinda stuff? I may just get that if it works good for that kind of stuff.
It'll mow/walk down and chew up 2 inch saplings once you get the hang of running it. What you mentioned won't slow it down. DR says 3 inch but that's extreme and doubtful. Its basically a walk behind bush hog. We cleared off 2 acres of overgrown virgin property that you couldn't walk through with it. Brambles require gloves, its an awesome machine, but expensive. Regards Walt

It'll mow/walk down and chew up 2 inch saplings once you get the hang of running it. What you mentioned won't slow it down. DR says 3 inch but that's extreme and doubtful. Its basically a walk behind bush hog. We cleared off 2 acres of overgrown virgin property that you couldn't walk through with it. Brambles require gloves, its an awesome machine, but expensive. Regards Walt
thank you

I've got a 40cc Echo brushcutter I use for clearing brush around my property. It's a great tool to have and I think I paid about $200 used and all I bought for it was the heavy three-pointed grass blade and a carbide tipped brush blade .

Latest posts

Back