Weedkiller safe for holly tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a terribly invasive, viney weed (Hedge bindweed (Calystegia sepium)?)that is crawling up and choking my 10 foot holly, and my young barberry and boxwoods.

Every week or so, I have to go in and pull out as much as I can, but it keeps coming. The one in the holly is the worst, the main vine is as big as 1/16 of an inch.

Is there anything I can spray to kill the vine but not the holly, barberry and boxwoods?

I have that stuff on procumbens nana juniperius. I've been beating the hell out of my hands for years trying to keep it form taking over. I can't spray it because I'll kill the junipers. Does anybody know what this stuff thrives on and maybe I can give it less of whatever that is to at least keep it from taking over.

Grub it out and apply glyphosate

Hedge and field Bindweed
( Calystegia sepium and Convolvulus arvensis)

Bindweed is a difficult plant to control, however with the use of glyphosate it is possible to eradicate it fairly quickly.

It's a climbing herbaceous perennial, spreading by creeping underground stems, which root readily into virgin soil. Before the use of chemicals such as glyphosate digging it out was the best way to control it. The main problem with this method is that every small piece of root left turned into a new plant. With the roots being brittle it is almost impossible to remove the entire root, so inevitable after a short period of time the problem returned only this time it had become at least twice the size. As with horse's tail it is best to apply the glyphosate with a small paintbrush directly to the leaves. Unlike horses tail it should only take one or two applications to control the bindweed.

Other methods include hoeing repeatedly to exhaust the bindweed as new stems appear. The two different types of bind weed as self-explanatory. One is more inclined to climb that the other but the control is the same.

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/gardenplants/weeds/index.html

Latest posts

Back