Weeping Cherry: Distance from house foundation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curdy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone, happy Memorial Day weekend!

My wife and I just got a couple of plants for our newly redone front garden. One is a nice young weeping cherry. Its going to be planted near a corner with one side being the large bay window to the living room facing the front yard. I need some help knowing how close I can plant this to the foundation. I read somewhere that rule of thumb is approx. 75% of the expected width of the canopy. I was told that this species should get to about 10' in Diameter. Well, 7.5' away from each wall isn't really where we want it, so...I need some ideas. (Just doesn't look right at that distance...and it will also block too much view from the front window)

#1: is the 75% estimate even correct?
#2: if 75% is correct, do you think something like a weeping cherry poses the same threat as a maple?
#3: again, if 75% is correct and I plant closer, could a steel plate be driven into the ground against the foundation to protect the foundation? I've heard of this being done to stop invasive plants like bamboo from spreading onto a neighbors property.

The picture attached shows the tree pretty close to 6' away from both walls. Its not bad, but we may want to try to move it in just a tad more, maybe 6". The window is about 5 1/2' away from the adjoining wall.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

attachment.php

Certainly a small cherry tree is not going to have the large root system of a maple. So I don't think you will have problems there.

I would be more concerned about the overall space to allow the tree to grow uninhibited, therefore, allowing it to display its full potential. If it has a 10' diameter spread, then you should be ok with where you have it.

When you place the tree where you think you want it, put the shovel (or something) in the ground out to where you can anticipate its full growth. Go back in the house and visualize the full height and width of the mature tree. Does it block your view? Can you live with that? Cherries like to be left alone, weeping varieties like to weep. That may sound like an obvious statement but I can't tell you how many people buy a weeping variety of a tree and then want to raise the crown (drives me nuts!).

Remember when you do plant it: 1) do not plant it too deep, make sure the graft is visible and 2) hopefully you are planning on mulching the bed which would give it a wonderful finished look besides all of the benefits organic mulch provides.

Sylvia

That thing is going to have a crown diameter of more then 10' at maturity, If left alone I would suspect it will have a 15'-20' diameter at maturity. Like "S mc" said you are not going to want to "raise" the canopy but you can with out a doubt have it pruned by a professional every 2-3 years to maintain a more compact canopy. This would be strictly a "fine pruning" job. Just remember when you prune a weeping tree the top of the canopy is essentially the bottom on weeping varieties.
Make sure you scarifiy the roots on that root ball before you plant the tree and keep it watered without fert for the first growing season.

People almost always plant ornamental trees too close to the house. I think the 7 ft. distance is an absolute minimum. You're better off keeping that tree at least 10 ft. from the house. If you think I'm wrong, keep this message and let me know about 8 years from now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like we're having a difference in opinion regarding the distance from the house.

One other question is that if the mature height is estimated to reach 10', how low will the branches weep to? I'll have it professionally pruned.

If we decide that the tree is getting too large for the area in say 5 years and maybe want to change the look of the front landscaping, how likely would it be we'd be able to transplant it? If its feasible, I'm thinking that would be a back up plan.

The limbs will grow down and along the ground eventually, if you let them - anf if the rabbits and other critters let them.
You can have the tree moved in 5 years, but it won't be an easy task. Because weeping cherries are a grafted tree. The trunk on these grows in diameter quickly in proportion to the top. If the tree is in good soil and well cared for, in 5 years it may be approaching 5 inches in diameter.

Id keep it at least 10' away from the house. Cherrys grow pretty fast (they only have a lifespan of about 25 years), so if you plant it 7' away from the house you might be looking at having to transplant it in a few years.
Ive got a Yoshino cherry tree (basically the same thing you have) in my front yard that is about 4 years old and its already got a canopy diameter of about 8'.

Back