Weeping Cherry Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lany

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I planted 3 weeping cherries 2 yrs ago and they are all doing well. My dilemma is this...two new branches are growing on one of them in the wrong direction. Instead of weeping down towards the ground, its growing up towards the sky. Can I cut these branches off? And, is this the correct season to trim these trees? The two branches measure roughly 1 1/2 foot now and the tree is roughly 5 ft. tall. I am located in southeastern Mass. I'd appreciated any advise. Thanks.

Elaine

I would wait for winter dormancy, there are some diseases that any of the Prunus genus can get.

Sounds like a succulent sprouting, some miss-call suckers (technicaly suckers some from roots.)

it is likely that after a while the new branch will start to droop, unless it comes from below the graft union.

Resesrch proper pruning so you make the cut at the right spot.

Here is a search on my favorite meta-engine-http://www.dogpile.com/_1_278IT8P02HGE4MJ__info.dogpl/dog/results?otmpl=dog/webresults.htm&qcat=web&qkw=proper+pruning&top=1&start=&ver=7878

Latest posts

Back