Weight of Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmai

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of variables, but is there a rule of thumb for determining the weight of a log. Something like, for every inch of diameter, there are X pounds, times each linear foot or inch. I have several that I'm moving to a pile for firewood, and I realize it would be good to make sure I cut the logs to what the backhoe can handle. Pine and Maple are the predominant species.

By the way, Rob (Stihl Magnum), came over and helped me with the trees I wasn't comfortable felling. When he was getting his "suped up" chain saw out of his truck, all I could think of was the Dodge truck commercial; "Hey! Does that thing have a Hemi in it? Sweet."

Ken

weight chart

Have you looked over at www.woodbin.com? Look around and you should find the weight calculator, all you do is put in the numbers and it crunches them for you.

Hey Ken,

Glad I could help,so how is the cleanup coming along over there anyway..I imagine you must have them all limbed up by now.Well it's good to hear you liked the PP385 she's definetly a beast :D .Well keep in touch

Later Rob.

Did ya'll hear about the crazy guy in NH driving around in a chevy 1 ton randomly getting out of his truck to cut down trees in peoples yards with, as I recall a 385PP. Officals report a two keg reward for information leading to arrest:D :D

Hey Ryan,

I'll take the two kegs...and maybe turn myself in.It's always nice to help out another forum member from AS especially when it comes to cutting timber:D .I never pass on that.I'll have some pics to post tomorrow of me an my new toy at the lot I'm working on for all to see,maybe you'll even get to see the PP385 in action slingin' chips.

Ken,

So hows it looking out there?Hope the backhoe is'nt having any problems with the logs or anything.

Later Rob.

2 Kegs!!!! I wish I knew that when he was here!:laugh: Maybe I do need help with clean up; ya thats it, Help with the clean up.

Actually, everything is limbed and cut to length. At first I was going to just limb them, pull them over and then cut to length. Backhoe didn't think that was a good idea. I wanted to leave them long because where the logs are is kind of wet. I figure if I left them long, I could pull them to the dry area without getting the backhoe stuck in the wet area. So much for that plan.

A friend from work has about 50' of chain so I'll use that and it'll be fine. What I can't reach, I can get from the backside; annoying but simple. I used the calculator links (Thanks!), and the heaviest one should be less than 1500 pounds. Before I cut to length it was over 6000 pounds. The backhoe couldn't have done that when it was new (20 years ago).

Thanks,

Ken

I'm sorry Rob but I've already turned you in and collected the reward. The police should be at your house any minute!:D :D

Hey Rob,

Sounds like your dance card is going to be full for a while. Mind if I borrow your toys :D

Ken

Rob, I'll save a keg and I'll met you up there and we can drink and go cut stuff.... Maybe even get a shirt like John's:p

Latest posts

Back