Welding Galvanized metal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preach it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to weld some galvanized metal. I hate welding it as it puts out poisonous gases. What does everyone else use for a mask when they weld that stuff? Yes, I grind as much as the galvanized part from the welding path as I can but some times that isn't feasible. What does everyone else do?

I would place a fan behind me on low and open the garage door a little. If you're migging or tigging the fan shouldn't bother the shield since your body's blocking the direct flow of air.

And make sure to suck the cream down into your lungs to prevent black spots.

Use a fan and do it outside, youll just kick up the lovely white spiders later if you do it inside.

Thanks for the posts. I know some people use some kind of a respirator when they weld galvanized. I have seen some who didn't use some kind of protection and they didn't look very good by the end of the day, and when I asked them they said that they sure didn't feel well either.

How much you welding? If you are just attaching a small piece to another and only need to weld a couple of inches then I'd run the fan.

How about just holding your breath. LOL

How much welding is the key question... if its just a single small weld or a all day long deal makes a big difference!
If just a small job then the fan idea on low speed and keep yourself upwind of the weld should do the trick nicely.

I usually use a side grinder and grind the coating off in the area to be welded.

The welding I am considering doing is to extend my brush hauling trailer. It has all metal frame and heavy duty metal mesh floor. It is double axle with a loader from Bailey's. It works fine but the loaded area is about 10ft. long and I am considering extending it about 1.5-2ft. The material I will use to extend it is from a boat trailer that was taken apart and I got the metal for free, but it is galvanized metal. I will most likely use a respirator under the welding helmet but it doesn't fit under it well. That is why I am looking for ideas when welding galvanized as it will be an all day job. I will grind off what I can but that won't get all of it.

preach it said:
The welding I am considering doing is to extend my brush hauling trailer. It has all metal frame and heavy duty metal mesh floor. It is double axle with a loader from Bailey's. It works fine but the loaded area is about 10ft. long and I am considering extending it about 1.5-2ft. The material I will use to extend it is from a boat trailer that was taken apart and I got the metal for free, but it is galvanized metal. I will most likely use a respirator under the welding helmet but it doesn't fit under it well. That is why I am looking for ideas when welding galvanized as it will be an all day job. I will grind off what I can but that won't get all of it.

dude, just go buy some steel!!!!!!

another case of "making my life harder , and risk my health,,,because i can save a few bucks!!!"

your going to waste more "man - hours" jerking around with this free junk....
than it would cost you to buy the right material, and do it right......unless your time is worth nothing,, its going to cost you money....

HEY! i saved $4.00 because i found a 2x4 in the dumpster!!!!! i only took me a half hour to pull the nails out of it,,, and i then hammered the nails straight, for other half hour!!!!! what a deal!!!!!!

Given you are grinding the weld area a good heavy duty dust mask (P2) will do and good ventilation .We use air fed welding shields with the P2 dust masks for welding long periods.(Boilermaker before stump removal)

i weld galv a bit when i get stuck with it. i allways do it outside with a fan behind me. as others have said it is best to prep the area to be welded, grind the coating to get to the metal. wipe down with a clean rag after grinding then weld it up. it still sucks to weld but it works.

That thin material from the boat trailer will have to be ground inside and out or you will get almost as much fume from the inside. The stuff you grind off into the air is not going to be medicine either. The welding respirators have the canisters separate and hang on your back. Havent had the zinc fume fever since I was a teenager but remember the shakes and chills. Sell the boat trailer to someone you dont like :) and buy some used plain steel for the job.

there are special filters for removing vaporized metal from the air, I have a set that fits my half face respirator. You really should use them for any kind of welding, not just galvanized. I honestly don't set the thing up for a small job, just glue it and move on

Buy some steel

As a metal fabricator as a side profession of mine i would reccomend not wasting your time and health for that matter on welding the galvi to save some $$$ a trailer like that would require a heavier guage steel than a boat trailer. i can buy a 24' piece of 3 x 2" square stock for 60$ . as someone else had said , the grinding dust isnt doing any justice to your health nevermid the environment and a waste of time ( time is money ) anyway a steel to steel bond is less likely to have faults in the weld as compared to a galvi to steel weld.

The material is 3"x2" heavy duty. That is why I snapped it up quick. The boat was a big boat. It is just the 3"x2" material that I hauled away, they had reconstructed the trailer, I picked up the left over parts.

The material is 3"x2" heavy duty. That is why I snapped it up quick. The boat was a big boat. It is just the 3"x2" material that I hauled away, they had reconstructed the trailer, I picked up the left over parts.

WHAT A BARGIN!!!!!! it is such a good deal!!!!! so your other job is some one else's garbage man?????? you have probably spent more time on this site,,, asking "how can i make this crap work with out ruining my health,,, and doing all kinds of labor intensive prep work,,, rather than if you went out,, got the right material,, did the job,,,and went back to work making money!!!!!!!

LET US SEE: I spent 10 hours dicking around with some free crap i picked out of someones crap pile......and my rate is 75 to 100 $$$ per hour,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or i could do it in a few hours,, if i just went out and bought some stock,,, did the job,,,got it over with,,,, and went out and generated some income when it was done!!!!!

nope!!! I saved some big bucks!!!!!! it didn't cost me a dime!!!

lost working time,,, but it didn't cost me a dime!!!!

KEEP ON SNAPPING!!! LOL

I will only answer the last post to broaden the small mind of the one who posted it. If you look at where I live, it is the frozen north. In the winter 99% of tree jobs end. Ice, deep snow and below zero weather for months at a time stops all out door work except necessities. So winter up here is a down time for all tree workers. Most tree workers either go south for the winter or have another job for the winter, ie. snow removal. Winter is the time that I have the chance to do large maintance jobs, such as major repairs, rebuilds, and welding. You should have known.

Latest posts

Back