Well I just paid for one...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
of those Timberline sharpener doohickey things. Which should be pretty cool. I'm all but out of wood to split, and everything is covered in poison ivy already. I'm bored so I figured I may as well buy something. I haven't read all 33 pages of the thread on this thing, but so far I haven't read anything bad about it...really I just needed something to post about.

I know how you feel. Personally, I bought a thingamabobber aka Alaskan Mill so I can make lumber from blowdown Hemlock and build a shelter for the horses. Should be fun. At least it keeps me out of the bars.

Well now ya did it. I guess I'll have to buy one now. They look pretty good to me !

I had one.. Liked it.... But took to long to sharpen.

I have 2 grinders now. And for the money, the Timber Tuff (same money I paid for the Timberline) is a lot faster and does a better job.

The Timberline can do a fine job? But you will need to be patient and learn to level and lock it well. Also, starting with a brand new chain (after using it of course) was easier to sharpen and maintain, than some Imhad hand filed.

Again. My personal experience. I ended up giving mine away to a forum member on another Forum. I can do several loops in the time it took to do one with the Timberline. And if you have several loops, you have to take the chain off the bar, put dull chain on, sharpen, repeat. Unless you have a jig set-up?

For the average firewood cutter. This is a fine tool. For someone looking to do numerous chains? Prob not so much.

Looks like my old Gamn

I got the Gamn many years ago. Think it was around $35.00 back then. Quit cutting for several years so kinda forgot about it but remember it really did a nice job. I still have it. Wonder if the burrs are the same?

Post a review after you use it a few times.

But of course...I kid you not, I have been having dreams of perfectly sharpened chains the last few nights. I'm your average firewood guy who like well built tools and spends way too much time and money worrying if his chains are sharp enough. I've watched the videos and read all I can on it and it makes sense to me so I'm hoping for the best...

I got the Gamn many years ago. Think it was around $35.00 back then. Quit cutting for several years so kinda forgot about it but remember it really did a nice job. I still have it. Wonder if the burrs are the same?

last i read about it,,they have changed a few things..someone posted about them on here a while back, and im not sure they are still called a gamn...i have one of the originals,,used it about three times,,and went back to files...i now electric sharpen...

I got to play with it some today. I sharpened 2 far from new chains and it was quite tedious. However, the chips from my test cuts were all the proof I needed. As a test I touched up one the chains which was a much quicker process. As of now my day 1 review would be, when compared to a File-n-Joint it gives a sharper edge and is as fast. My guess is that after a few more runs with it I'll have the technique and time down significantly. I should point out that I was checking my work down to 1/64" which I'm sure most would agree is overkill. I agree with most everything I've read on it and I probably don't have anything to offer that hasn't already been said. I've got a few more chains to run though so I'll report back with some pics...

Latest posts

Back