Well twice I have tried and twice I have failed!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are driving from "Central Nebraska" all the way to Lk. Minitare, you are putting on some miles. My in-laws live in Morrill and Gehring, so I get over that way at least once a year. Love Rosita's and the Platte Valley Creamery!

If you are driving from "Central Nebraska" all the way to Lk. Minitare, you are putting on some miles. My in-laws live in Morrill and Gehring, so I get over that way at least once a year. Love Rosita's and the Platte Valley Creamery!

I am actually just north of Bayard out in the country, which is about 18 miles from Gering. Minitare Lake is about 18 miles away as well.

You are packing it in! Better now than during mud snow and ice season! How much on that load do you guesstimate, going on two cords?

Yeah there is an easy two cords of wood on the truck. The bed is like 7'4" by 12'3" and the sides are at least 3' high. If I take the truck and the matching M105 trailer I can put two cords in each, so 4 cords or a little more each trip.

I have a Stihl 460 and a 260 Pro. The 260 is just for backup and I don't use it much...

However the other day I was using the 460 and someone else was using the 260. I noticed I was cutting about 4 or 5 cuts in the same time the other guy made one cut on the same logs.

I do have different chains on each, so not fair... I have a square ground chain on the 460 and a square ground safety chain on the 260.

I'm going to make up some regular square ground chains for the 260, then see if it then cuts faster (same chain as is on 460).

Anyway with that said, you might want to measure the diameter of the logs you are cutting, note the type of wood, then time how long each cut is taking you in seconds.

Then post that info here and ask how long it is taking other people to do the same cuts on the same type wood and size of logs. And ask what saw/chain they are using if faster, etc.

Nice fat scores!

Yeah there is an easy two cords of wood on the truck. The bed is like 7'4" by 12'3" and the sides are at least 3' high. If I take the truck and the matching M105 trailer I can put two cords in each, so 4 cords or a little more each trip.
Excellent! Good hauls you are getting.

Today I just got back from dropping seven trees, stuff I will buck up next week, then went over to that huge oak log and took three more rounds. This trip, that was it, three instead of four, that's all I could move onto the box and it was heavy. I can't tip or roll anything bigger by hand. Next trip down there I will get two more, then that's it, the rest of the butt end of the log can go back into the natural ecosystem, I honestly don't want to even think about rolling them out. Maybe I'll go back and noodle it up sometime, but I want those smaller trees I just dropped first. I can handle five medium 75-100 lb rounds a lot faster than I can one 300-500 lb hugemongous one. 40 years ago I was a wee bit stronger and younger...hahahaha! Or maybe I'll just cut them up and split them down there instead..I usually never do that, but maybe. I don't like noodling real big ones I think it beats on the saw too much.

hmmm...still got most of the afternoon left...maybe I shouldn't be lazy....hmmm

edit: Allllrightee I wasn't lazy! Went back and finished bucking up Treequake II. Then because the last three rounds were so big, I fiskared and mauled them into manageable chunks. Just got done unloading. Fiskars popped them huge guys in half with four swings, three up the middle to make one long crack, then one really good one right exactly in the middle. Then back to the maul, I didn't want to drive the fiskars into the dirt.

Dang, that was a big tree....I've been burning off that same tree for two years, this will be the third, and what I hauled this week back up is going on the two years from now pile....should be dry by then....

Last edited:
My load yesterday
attachment.php

attachment.php

Your house looks a little drafty in the background..

Nice loads of wood your hauling..

If you bucked and loaded that wood on that truck by yourself in 4 hours, I say you done a hellofa job...

Well actually there was three of us. Me, Myself and I. I just don't know what it is, but every darn time I throw a wood cutting, loading, or splitting party those are the only three people that show up? I don't get it? Lol

Latest posts

Back