Well, you can call us the Tree Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
ers....

Check it out, all for Mr Maas:

Out of sight, I think, is the ground guy line.....

zippidyday.......

more pics tomorrow, it was too big for us amateurs to do in one day

RB,
I`m glad you got that camera, great pictures!

Do you guys experience many cut outs climbing on the down side of those limbs with gaffs?

RB,
How is your rope attached at point A on the tree and how is it secured at point B on the the block?

Kevin,

I'll try to get a close up today for ya.

At top, speedline cloved or cow hitched off. lower line run through 5/8 stainless block, Hobbs LD on the ground.
Traveling setup: 4" drop side pulley, then steel clevis and 4" heavy ring, then the LL biner and speed line sling.

Re the balancing acts, I made a balancer out of some tenex, but find it is too darn slow to attach. A good way to balance a limb is to tie the speed line out as needed and the lower line near the butt. then they can be individually controlled.

Mike, another good one!! I'l try to get a better image for ya to play with. Ian (ands everyone else) loved the Oops one you doctored.

......If my two new (ebay)hopped up Husky's arent at my front door soon, I'm comin' after ya, gyro..........ya better not be sleepin' with 'em agin......creep.....

Kevin,

Sure, but hey, a boy's gotta have a few raspberries on his arms, eh?.....

....Ian did just fine gettin' out there, but might have had it a little easier if his lifeline had been routed a bit better. I think one of the guy lines was kinda in the way.

Climbing on the backside of a leaner like that is fine if you keep your angles close to normal in relation to the branch, and lean against the lifeline.

rb i'm not questioning your judgement or skill so please don't take it that way. i can't realy tell what is under the tree from your pics. but wouldn't it be quicker to just lower the tree from itself and skip the zip line? as you get lower you will loose the height to zip the wood. do you then just bomb it or do you rope it all the wood down. if roped all the way down ,the guys will still trample the ground cutting up and taking the wood out.
for all i know theres a pool right under the tree and you chose the best method possible. most guys are not even capable of rigging like that. i'm talking from a strickly time stand point. all that rigging takes time. it looks like some one could learn alot working with you.
but i would much rather put a rope on it than cut it small and let it fall. i see guys walk out on limbs and make 10 cuts to drop a branch in a yard. if they would have put a rope on it it could have been taken in one cut. when i do removals i try to take down the tree in the least amount of cuts.

What's all that crap on his belt? J/K:D
I was wondering about that balancing act too, is it butt or tip tied ?

Very Impressive

That rig tie was nice. You make that look so easy as well. I suppose if you can understand the physics of how the branch will react to the angle and make sure you have the bite at the estimated point of balance on the limb you have a good start. is there a trick to finding that perfect balance or is it something that you just have to eyeball? I'm gonna get a camera out on the job when I get going on it so I can show you the progress I am making thanks to the wisdom shared with me on this sight.

I wish, DDM. i got several clips today, the resolution isnt bad, and 15 fps isnt too jerky.

JPs,

The speed lines were only 120 and 137 feet long. Didnt have the plasma... The first one was too short. We we constrained by the road, so it made it hard to clear the structures underneath. that's why we used the Hobbs to lift the low branches up, tightening the zip line as they came up. It barely worked, otherwise, we coulda parked a p/u across the road for zip anchor- kinda tough, even with the minimal traffic.

It is will a couple days before I post more pics, I got a bunch today. got a two day job a 45 minute drive away. On a lake, so dont know if we'll get any work done, specially if there's any babes in the vicinity.....

Sold a job to lace out a 60 feet tall by 100 foot wide maple: that will be nice after all these removals.... plus the crane job that came in today- a log truck load of big firs, right next to a house.

spike it, it would been real tough to just rope out the side of the tree over the carport and delicate fence. We woulda had to do the back side first, then swing them back, then drag em through the gate, not practical. But we did lower out most of the backside of the tree, and had just enuf room to free drop most of the wood. (Too tough and slow to speedline it out front. We left it up 45 feet for the crane. Waiting to do the tree behind it, which will have two saleable logs also. Hoping to get $100 more for the logs than trucking and crane fees. got some $700 per mbf Western red cedar to get from another job, and maybe a few doug fir logs on another. So it will be a full load, and the sort yard buys everything.

Last edited:
RB, ... Tree Guy

Is this climber tied in lower on the stem in case the top lets go?
I see the brace but can`t see another tie in point on the tree other than where he`s planted.

I doubt it. Likely just a choked lifeline and flipline.
i only bother with that if I suspect weakness in the wood. That maple was real strong. and we were letting the fairly small pieces run.

Latest posts

Back