West coast B.C. Cedar tree pic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powelllake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine (foreground) taken about 20 years ago near Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, B.C.
Thought you might like to see it. Lots of shakes in this one.
Mark

That's a Helluva tree - definitely some old growth there. I bet watching a tree that large fall must be a rush. Nice picture, thanks for sharing!

If it wasn't for the saw in the pic I'dve guessed it was just a picture of a couple of dwarf loggers! :hmm3grin2orange:

How much of a pain is it to buck one of those monsters? I see a lot of pics of the base after felling them, but not much on the 'grunt' work of chunking them up.

How often do you block them down vs. fell 'em and buck them up?

Thanks for sharing!!!

Chaser

049.gif

NICE

Huge, great pic.

It sure would be a thrill felling them big buggers, those were the days.

wagonwheeler said:
How often do you block them down vs. fell 'em and buck them up?

How would you block something that big? Are you going to cut through it and push it over? I don' theeeen' so! :dizzy:

Just topping those old monsters would be a major acheivement!

powelllake said:
A friend of mine (foreground) taken about 20 years ago near Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, B.C.
Thought you might like to see it. Lots of shakes in this one.
Mark

Scanned image? FYI, BMP = eeeevilll!

Largest file size, lowest quality. I can't think of any reason to work with BMPs.

Save your scan in TIFF or JPEG at highest resolution to maximize quality. Then convert to other formats if needed to make a smaller file.

Use JPG (JPEG) or PNG if it's for a website. Experiment with each to see which gives you the best result in terms of quality and file size. For black & white, GIF might work. (Yes, you can use GIF for color, but it's not usually the best choice.) Depends on the original.

For a free picture editor, see

www.irfanview.com or

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/imageediting/tp/freephotoedw.htm

Old fir, new saw, not me

A friend of mine with his shine new saw (ms880, 59 inch bar).

attachment.php

Not many firs like this around anymore (that aren't protected), but the cedars are coming on strong. I have some 60-70 years old on my property (2nd growth (3rd gen) that are getting up to 4 feet dbh, and they aren't even teenagers yet!

i climbed a giant like that (ok a bit smaller, only 6 feet in diameter), a while ago. You feel really small when in a tree like that.

great photo.

Back