West Ky 385/390 build off update....$$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you at liberty to mention said dealer? I'm in central MI area.

Not in the open forum Roy. They are not a site sponsor, and Darin might not appreciate that.

I'll send you a PM.

I'm thinking a 385 will win.

I think so as well Mike. The 385 has better timing numbers for pulling a longer bar with off the roll chain.

Not in the open forum Roy. They are not a site sponsor, and Darin might not appreciate that.

I'll send you a PM.

I think so as well Mike. The 385 has better timing numbers for pulling a longer bar with off the roll chain.
I'm still trying to get this 390 to run like the last 385. Its just not quite there.

You can cut enough outta the squish to get the exhaust under control, but then the intake is too low. I just find a happy medium and roll with it. These days I do more 390XPs than any other saw.

hmm sounds like you need a piston stretcher or two piece head.

the amount of work you do to them says a lot. It seems natural the 390 would be an upgrade to the 385 but I guess it is not the case.

I've tried 96-100 on the exhaust in them. They all turn out about the same. The 385 I can't remember what it is but it's a touch faster.

hmm sounds like you need a piston stretcher or two piece head.

the amount of work you do to them says a lot. It seems natural the 390 would be an upgrade to the 385 but I guess it is not the case.
Bore to stroke ratio better on the 385. Bigger bore does not always equate to more power produced.
That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it..

I have gorilla tape holding the handle together on my 385...
Hope there's no rule against using gorilla tape.
It's important to the function of muh saw.
is it black? one wrap or two?

I believe it is backyard saw racing (BSR) approved, it must have good for you clearly written in indelible ink on the tape so everyone knows it is approved and not some cheap knock off. If it is a small piece you may be able to just put the initials "I have a potty mouth" but please show the tape to the judges before racing or you may be DQ'd

Back