What’s the latest in healthy eating?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGPT

Troll. Pronouns “He” and “Him”
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some fads come and go - eggs are ok now, not load3d with cholesterol?

So what is the latest scientific information on what we should eat, and what we shouldn’t?

@lone wolf is a bit of a self-taught expert here...yeah, right out of left field. We got to talking, but figured a seperate thread is better.

The starting point was...what is the worst thing we eat, that we probably shouldn’t. 15 years ago...maybe a touch more...it was animal fats and oils. But we think that’s wrong. It’s sugar. Particularly refined sugar like the white sucrose you spoon into your coffee or tea, or the HIgh Fructose Corn Syrup which seems to be in EVERYTHING now.

Next worst is probably vegetable oils - including, I think, peanut oil, which I have used for years cause you can get it very hot before it smokes. But olive oil? Avacado oil (too expensive)? Just pure butter? Rendered duck fat (delicious for roasting)

I know that processed meats, cured meats, are pretty bad. They are a class 1 carcinogen - known to cause cancer. But ******* if bacon isn’t delicious, right?

So, what else is there. What do we think is ok, but isn’t. What do we worry about, but shouldn’t?

MSG? Meat? Animal fats? Flour? Artificial sweeteners? Burnt toast?

I know some fads come and go - eggs are ok now, not load3d with cholesterol?

So what is the latest scientific information on what we should eat, and what we shouldn’t?

@lone wolf is a bit of a self-taught expert here...yeah, right out of left field. We got to talking, but figured a seperate thread is better.

The starting point was...what is the worst thing we eat, that we probably shouldn’t. 15 years ago...maybe a touch more...it was animal fats and oils. But we think that’s wrong. It’s sugar. Particularly refined sugar like the white sucrose you spoon into your coffee or tea, or the HIgh Fructose Corn Syrup which seems to be in EVERYTHING now.

Next worst is probably vegetable oils - including, I think, peanut oil, which I have used for years cause you can get it very hot before it smokes. But olive oil? Avacado oil (too expensive)? Just pure butter? Rendered duck fat (delicious for roasting)

I know that processed meats, cured meats, are pretty bad. They are a class 1 carcinogen - known to cause cancer. But ******* if bacon isn’t delicious, right?

So, what else is there. What do we think is ok, but isn’t. What do we worry about, but shouldn’t?

MSG? Meat? Animal fats? Flour? Artificial sweeteners? Burnt toast?
Drinks with sugar, fruit juice ,orange juice, refined flour, pasta bread etc. all are bad, they all turn into sugar fast and raise insulin levels. Just eat whole organic non GMO foods. You said you tried KETO you were on the right track, you can modify that and still get great results.

Simple sugars are better straight from the source like I use raw straight honey in my tea not white sugar crystals. Corn and wheat economy here. Big buss owns big farms and Pharma. Now billionaires wish to control the public food supply. Obesity is the results. Morbid obesity is now forthcoming. I stopped eating gluten two months ago.l myself. Haven't felt like a young man since then. A decade of you got this and you got that, bs. What I got was down to doing my own homework to figure it out. I'm coming back strong so people better gth out of the left lane.

Margarine was supposed to be good for us, not! Nitrates will eventually kill you just like cigarettes.
If you knew what was in most of your prepared food and how it was made you'd likely be quezzy.

Don't listen to others who, lost weight, or survived this or that. Listen to the people who almost never get sick. If they do they bounce back in a short time.

Keep eating fast food and highly processed foods is a surefire way to an early grave. That's fine for you, not my thing, but feeling like **** the whole way kinda sucks. If it is going to kill me it better be worth it. Most foods just aren't. I can think of better tasting things with no calories but definitely has a side effect.
YMMV 😉 😜
Eat local
Farm to plate with no chemicals is best. My food costs are double now compared to what the masses eat.

Simple sugars are better straight from the source like I use raw straight honey in my tea not white sugar crystals. Corn and wheat economy here. Big buss owns big farms and Pharma. Now billionaires wish to control the public food supply. Obesity is the results. Morbid obesity is now forthcoming. I stopped eating gluten two months ago.l myself. Haven't felt like a young man since then. A decade of you got this and you got that, bs. What I got was down to doing my own homework to figure it out. I'm coming back strong so people better gth out of the left lane.

Margarine was supposed to be good for us, not! Nitrates will eventually kill you just like cigarettes.
If you knew what was in most of your prepared food and how it was made you'd likely be quezzy.

Don't listen to others who, lost weight, or survived this or that. Listen to the people who almost never get sick. If they do they bounce back in a short time.

Keep eating fast food and highly processed foods is a surefire way to an early grave. That's fine for you, not my thing, but feeling like **** the whole way kinda sucks. If it is going to kill me it better be worth it. Most foods just aren't. I can think of better tasting things with no calories but definitely has a side effect.
YMMV 😉 😜
Eat local
Farm to plate with no chemicals is best. My food costs are double now compared to what the masses eat.
Agreed but the honey still sugar. A small amount may be just fine, though.

This is how you know you eat healthy...

Last night, the wife and I, met an old friend in town for dinner. He wanted to go to this specific restaurant, known for big plates and fried meals. We had fried pickles for an appetizer and I had fish and Chips, while the old lady had a tuna melt.

I about died last night from the fried food. My body was not ready for it.

If you about die from unhealthy food because your body is not use to it...you're doing good.

This is how you know you eat healthy...

Last night, the wife and I, met an old friend in town for dinner. He wanted to go to this specific restaurant, known for big plates and fried meals. We had fried pickles for an appetizer and I had fish and Chips, while the old lady had a tuna melt.

I about died last night from the fried food. My body was not ready for it.

If you about die from unhealthy food because your body is not use to it...you're doing good.
The same is true for cigarettes and Alcohol, right.

A PROPER vegan or vegetarian diet sourced locally is probably as healthy as you can get. "Proper" meaning none of the simulated crap being marketed as vegan. That goes right back to Lightning's comment regarding companies wanting to sell us something.

FYI a great oil for high smoke point (I think it is the highest) is grapeseed oil. It is one of the cheaper oils that aren't just "vegetable".

Agreed but the honey still sugar. A small amount may be just fine, though.
Agreed. Some sugar is ok. An apple is sweet cause it’s got sugar. But it also has fibre, and vitamins, and flavonoids, and other good stuff.

When it gets to be a problem is when you juice the apple, refine the juice, add more sugar, and then ‘drink’ 6 apples worth in one go. Eat 1 apple? Fine. ‘Drink’ 6 apples worth of refined juice with added sugar every day and yeah, expect problems.

The same is true for cigarettes and Alcohol, right.
That’s true. A good, healthy person should get a ‘buzz’ from 1 or 2 beers, and usually knows to stop. Heavy drinkers barely get a buzz off 5 beers, and they won’t or can’t stop.

A non-smoker coughs and chokes in smoke, while heavy smokers breath it likes it’s oxygen.

You said you tried KETO you were on the right track, you can modify that and still get great results.
I did. I did it strictly for about a year (less than 20g carbs per day?) and less strictly for maybe 3 years (50g carbs?). It wasn’t hard, just takes a little bit of focus and planning.

I made one of my old Keto favourites last night. Cauliflower, ham (last of this years Christmas ham leg), mushrooms, sour cream. All baked together, then cheese on top. Very little carbs, good fat from the sour cream and cheese, and totally delicious.

I’m going to do it. I’m not buying carbs now...gotta run down the current supplies but as they run out, I’ll just refill with Keto options. Figure I’ll do 6 months strict, then relax back to 50g carbs like I used to.

A PROPER vegan or vegetarian diet sourced locally is probably as healthy as you can get. "Proper" meaning none of the simulated crap being marketed as vegan. That goes right back to Lightning's comment regarding companies wanting to sell us something.

FYI a great oil for high smoke point (I think it is the highest) is grapeseed oil. It is one of the cheaper oils that aren't just "vegetable".
I don’t know too much about vegan diets, but you would need to plan carefully to get nuts and seeds and fruits and mushrooms etc to make sure you get all the right nutrients?

I think humans can eat meat. I think sometimes, cutting meat completely isn’t as healthy as eating ‘some’ meat. I do think we generally eat too much meat (guilty) but having a chicken drumstick, a lamb cutlet and piece of fish each week I think is a good thing. Added to an otherwise very varied?

Grapeseed oil? I’ll look into that. I really though my peanut oil was a good choice. Shows how easy it is to think you picked something good that turns out to be bad.

Don't use any seed based oils. They'll kill you.

Use Butter, Olive oil, Avocado oil, ghee, lard, or tallow.

According to some
fried-grasshoppers-on-the-thai-market-closeup_v8hgnyxumte__F0000.png

Agreed. Some sugar is ok. An apple is sweet cause it’s got sugar. But it also has fibre, and vitamins, and flavonoids, and other good stuff.

When it gets to be a problem is when you juice the apple, refine the juice, add more sugar, and then ‘drink’ 6 apples worth in one go. Eat 1 apple? Fine. ‘Drink’ 6 apples worth of refined juice with added sugar every day and yeah, expect problems.
Now you are talking! Like drinking gallons of Cherry juice for Gout and you just are killing your self!

Latest posts

Back