What’s your handiest tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For the younger folks who are just starting their tool collections, they should know that one of the first and most basic tools is a tablesaw with a good fence. I have a Delta 10” Contractor’s tablesaw, and it has served me very well for over 20 years. $600 at the time.

But one of the handiest tools I have is my welder. A cheap little 110 volt wire-feed. I have yet to encounter the project it couldn’t handle, and being able to join metal together is wonderful.

Just now finished some of these:

D5042076-54B4-4C97-9305-F5F2847992F8.jpeg

“And what, pray tell,” you are asking yourself, “are those?”

Firewood brackets.

B183FE96-FC1D-45BC-9DC3-FCCDCD426BB5.jpeg

So what are your own handiest tools?

For the younger folks who are just starting their tool collections, they should know that one of the first and most basic tools is a tablesaw with a good fence. I have a Delta 10” Contractor’s tablesaw, and it has served me very well for over 20 years. $600 at the time.

But one of the handiest tools I have is my welder. A cheap little 110 volt wire-feed. I have yet to encounter the project it couldn’t handle, and being able to join metal together is wonderful.

Just now finished some of these:

View attachment 978212

“And what, pray tell,” you are asking yourself, “are those?”

Firewood brackets.

View attachment 978213

So what are your own handiest tools?

If you'll ship me a dozen of those brackets, I will submit them to a rigid product review, and real world testing, free of charge. :cool:

If you'll ship me a dozen of those brackets, I will submit them to a rigid product review, and real world testing, free of charge. :cool:

Awesome! Just get me your address and I’ll let you have them for free, plus shipping and handling. (That shouldn’t be more than $300 or so).
:laugh::happybanana:

By far the handiest tool I use:
562501-e9cd4be7548223a0eecfcb1a5e09a36b.jpeg.jpg
Nothing else is close; I use this multiple times per day, every day. Has saved me numerous times when it was the only tool I had available. Been wearing it daily for over 25 years. Worn out several belt carriers for it. Have had true Leathermans and others, but really like this Craftsman.

My leatherman and one of my Surefire or Streamlight flashlights. Both tools get used every day LOTS of times and im totally lost without them. Im on my second leatherman in the past 10 years or so. This “Wave +” was a free replacement by leatherman when my “Juice CS4” died. The juice and leatherman have both been back for the same thing. A broken awl or a flat head [emoji1787][emoji1787]

And my custom made sheath. Made buy a local boot store owner that is a leather smith.

bffaf0d05ecfa2e8d4a15e2e88368cda.jpg

68e392be0f9eef61ffabb783aaeaabde.jpg

3697602b8a6ef018fd3d4e763eb95726.jpg

9ccb13fae748207f92fdb9bfcc21bf28.jpg

6c64d09de48109994fd776ab1818398f.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

By far the handiest tool I use:
View attachment 978236
Nothing else is close; I use this multiple times per day, every day. Has saved me numerous times when it was the only tool I had available. Been wearing it daily for over 25 years. Worn out several belt carriers for it. Have had true Leathermans and others, but really like this Craftsman.
Victorinox swiss tool for me, snapped the pliers too many times on my old leathermen.

swiss tool pliers are heavy duty

A good pocket knife, or Milwaukee razor fastback, is invaluable but I’ll throw a different one out there. It’s one I never knew I needed as much as I did until I got one.

With a 4 1/2 inch cut off wheel and a 5 ah battery you have the next step below portable torches. Really handy to keep in your truck with a flap disc and grinding wheel too.

A good pocket knife, or Milwaukee razor fastback, is invaluable but I’ll throw a different one out there. It’s one I never knew I needed as much as I did until I got one.

With a 4 1/2 inch cut off wheel and a 5 ah battery you have the next step below portable torches. Really handy to keep in your truck with a flap disc and grinding wheel too.
Padlock universal key?

I dont know about the handiest tool but the most often tool I use is a bench grinder with a wire wheel and grinding stone on the other end. I am always cleaning stuff up with the wire wheel and reshaping or cutom fitting items with the grinding wheel. Even wood items. Gotta be careful you dont let the wood catch on fire. I guess the other most used tool is my battery powered drill with several different drill attachments.

I dont know about the handiest tool but the most often tool I use is a bench grinder with a wire wheel and grinding stone on the other end. I am always cleaning stuff up with the wire wheel and reshaping or cutom fitting items with the grinding wheel. Even wood items. Gotta be careful you dont let the wood catch on fire. I guess the other most used tool is my battery powered drill with several different drill attachments.
Picked up a 1945 sears/craftsman 1/2hp for $10 some 18 yrs ago…bearings soo good the thing takes a min or so to stop once turned off. Love it

I agree, everyone needs a good, cheap welder,,

9cGiull.jpg

The welder ain't worth a hoot, if the steel is too heavy to move,, you need a lifter,,

BPh0tCI.jpg

You need a place to store the lifter,, and the welder, and still be big enough to do a project, like a chicken coop.
(the lifter will move the coop, when the coop is done)

UD0FLiY.jpg

Finally, and maybe most important, you need a great grill.
Mine has a DIY ring, that holds charcoal in a small area, when only grilling 1 to 3 steaks

B0fjCz0.jpg

Back