What $10 at a scrap metal yard got me today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrMorgan

I worked at Hoffco years ago. I bought a few very large brush cutters/ weed eaters that were called wizz witches. They were the most badass weed eaters I have ran. They were returns and they were in the r/d dept. I ended up paying $250 for the pair. We ran them forever in my fathers commercial lawn business. I am not really sure what ever happened to them later on ........

Steve

Picked up a couple more units at the scrap today:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yet another Husky x80CD carcass, and a seized Sachs-Dolmar 133 with a lot of perfectly good parts. I don't know how bad the seizure is yet. The Husky will turn over, albeit very roughly. Feels like it could be a bearing.

I have NO idea what the geardrive parts are from. I figured I could probably scavenge a few parts off of it such as the gears and sprocket etc.; if not, no loss.

I paid $20 for those three, a usable small hydraulic pump, a one-gallon antique metal gas gan, and a few feet of steel tube and angle which would be worth well over the $20 at market prices anyway.

If the 133 is too far gone, I can make that wrap handle disappear for you. Tried this in a PM, but the box is full.

Good Score. I would love to get that 133 :clap:

I can't believe how many comments and requests that 133 has generated. I have to go through my PMs from when I first posted it a few months ago to figure out who wants what and who asked first, because at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to part it out or not. I tried stripping it down a couple days ago, but the cylinder is stuck pretty good. The piston looks like brand new with a bit of water corrosion, so I'm pretty sure it's just the rings that are stuck. I left some penetrating oil on top of the piston and will try to get it unstuck again today maybe.

I was hoping to get it all up and running someday just to have a big Dolmar in my herd of saws, but the crank is hosed (somebody stripped the flywheel nut threads really badly) and with the other parts it needs, it'll just be more work than it's worth. If I can make a few bucks off of it to throw at other saws, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
i thought i took the cake for hording chainsaws

Well I just hate to see old stuff get scrapped out, especially when I know there are collectors out there looking for old obscure NLA parts. I have plenty of storage space (for now), so I'll keep anything saw-related that I can find. For what I pay for stuff at the scrapyard, it's hard not to.

Latest posts

Back