what a wood stove is really made for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to heat the house with a cookstove until the insurance company said it had to go.

We put our airtight in back in 1988. We also had to ditch the barrel stove in the garage.

That really sucks. I was thinking of making a barrel stove for my basement,and cutting registers in the floor. I could keep my basement dry and get better, even heat in the upstairs instead of one really hot room that is unusable when the wood stove is roaring.

That really sucks. I was thinking of making a barrel stove for my basement,and cutting registers in the floor. I could keep my basement dry and get better, even heat in the upstairs instead of one really hot room that is unusable when the wood stove is roaring.

You might get away with it, maybe not. I'm neither an insurance agent or a lawyer so I can't offer any advice. You might want to call an agent outside your area and ask what their requirements are. Just sayin'. Ours said airtight stove is the ONLY design allowed.

Perhaps you have a place in that upstairs hot room where you could do a ductwork intake high at the ceiling and squirrel cage fan the hot air down into the basement?? And then still have the floor registers for the other rooms?

Wood Stove -- Ice Storm

A few years ago we had an ice storm that took down most of the electric lines in this entire area.

I used my stove to heat coffee and make toast. I believe we had no electric for about 4-days.

Nosmo

A few years ago we had an ice storm that took down most of the electric lines in this entire area.

I used my stove to heat coffee and make toast. I believe we had no electric for about 4-days.

Nosmo

Yeah, that one knocked out my mom and dad's power for 13 days and my dad still refuses to put a wood burner in again. He has a wall mounted propane stove that heats his whole house and he can roast wieners with it so he is happy. However, I bought the 1st house west of him and first investment I made was a wood-burning insert that stuck out a bit so I could cook on it. Completely heats my house now and will continue if we have another power outage.

You forgot the coffee pot.

Coffee pot is on my stove 24/7

005-2.jpg

I like to wrap potatoes in foil and bake them in the stove. I love good baked potatoes. And soup or beans cooked on the stove are great

Steve

Back