what am i missing here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a picture of this thing in the Barnacle Parp's Chainsaw book and couldn't understand how you're supposed to hold the wood. I guess if you had a solid fixture that kept the log from trying to spin as the tool augured into it it may be a good idea, but to hold a log freehand and push it up to the tool is begging for a good hurtin'.

Dan

I saw these things demonstrated at the Ohio Farm Science Review probably 30 years ago. I was young,dumb and brave but watching the guy throw a piece of wood on a spinning pick up truck wheel left a lasting impression, "beggen for a hurten" discribes them well.

kf_tree said:
too bad the guy doesn't have 4 of them.......i could put 3in studs on my wheels and mount them after the tires. it could be fun in merging traffic. :)

Keen you need a set of Ben-Hur hubcaps. If you have ever seen the movie you'll know what I mean.
benhur-race.jpg

PWB said:
I need(?) one of these. I have a buddy that had a good idea for one. Mount it on the end of a hydraulic post hole auger on the front of his bobcat. Just use it to pick up big slabs and carry them to the normal lay down type hydraulic splitter, or to cut them down to size for hand work. Already tried the winch/log tongs over the splitter route.

The same design is used on tractor PTO's. Those who hated them are still around, those who liked them are still limping around and thiose who loved them well you can can figure it out.

Bill

There is a similar tool that is shaped like a bollard from a hobbs or GRCS. Once bolted to the wheel, if you got stuck, you tie one end of a long rope to a tree or something, do a few wraps around the bollard with the other end, and as you drive it pulls you out.
Anyone ever see or use one of these?

Back