What are the most valuable collector saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm new to collecting saws and was just wondering what saws are the most desirable and valuable? Thanks, Matt in KY

Four Paws said:
Anything YOU like. From a monetary value stand point, all of the BIG muscle saws. 090 Stihl, 111 Jonsered, Homelite 750, Mac SP125, and the list goes on. Check out Mike Acres site for lots of good info and interesting reading.

+1, he's quite right. The really curious saws like the rotary engine and twin-cylinder models also seem to command a premium. Oh, and the Homelite chainsaw-powered circular saws seem to be going for a grip on eBay.

Then there are the oddball saws, like my Ford chainsaw or the Orline Mustang or stuff like that, that will command a premium when they're in excellent condition and you get them in front of the right buyer but are worthless to anyone else.

Out of curiosity, what is your goal in collecting saws?

My excuse "was" to keep myself out of trouble. Now with all the stuff I'm dragging home its working against me.

Going to have to make some pretty woodstock soon to get myself out of this one.

At worst.. we are fixing up stuff that the average joe can't or won't.. so thats a valuable resource in itself.

The 090 is the collector king. It brings the most cash on ebay also. The homie 750 and 2100 are probably next in line in that order. After that the sp125 mcculloch seems to be right there.
This is only my observation having aquired some of these myself and always watching the local auctions or ebay sales.
It's funny that they seem to be in that order of popularity because for my money the sp125 mac is the best of the bunch. I recently aquired one from Macdaddy on this sight and frankly have been very impressed by the quality, power and believe it or not the anti vibe on such a big saw. It is faster than my 090 and easier to handle.
It is true though that the bigger saws in general seem to fetch the premiums and the most attention. I am a big saw fan myself and though I am partial to older mccullochs and homelites, I still keep an eye out for the quality big stuff if I think I can get a bargain or that I am able to do the repair on a parts saw myself.

hoss said:
The 090 is the collector king. It brings the most cash on ebay also. The homie 750 and 2100 are probably next in line in that order. After that the sp125 mcculloch seems to be right there.
This is only my observation having aquired some of these myself and always watching the local auctions or ebay sales.
It's funny that they seem to be in that order of popularity because for my money the sp125 mac is the best of the bunch. I recently aquired one from Macdaddy on this sight and frankly have been very impressed by the quality, power and believe it or not the anti vibe on such a big saw. It is faster than my 090 and easier to handle.
It is true though that the bigger saws in general seem to fetch the premiums and the most attention. I am a big saw fan myself and though I am partial to older mccullochs and homelites, I still keep an eye out for the quality big stuff if I think I can get a bargain or that I am able to do the repair on a parts saw myself.

Now Hoss just who are you fooling. I know you like no saw bigger that 20cc ,LOLOL. Oh hell I forgot the other 100cc's that go with the 20,...

Good job on that 056 my friend. It looked great, sounded great too. Glad you like that saw, couldn't have let a better man have it, cool beans to you Hoss!!!!!

Last edited:
My guess would be 'museum' pieces, rare '30s-50s saws, some o' the two handers, nice shape twin cylinders, wankles, early odd-balls, one-offs, take yeer pick. I bet an 20's Stihl might be worth a place on the mantle. Running is good. The best are is what others want, there are a few 'wish lists' around, go google ma man!

I want another 08s, but I'd use it, doesn't make me a collector eh.

:)

Thankee kinderly there sheperd. It's true ya know the sheperd giveth, but if he starts takin em back i'll be runnin like granny's control tops in a briar patch.
All kiddin aside that saw was in even better shap than I was expecting. Tommy told me originally told me that he thought both bar studs were stripped but it turned out to be only one. Also it looked a little worn but that just turned out to be a healthy coating of sap and grease. So it was hardly any effort gettin it back to 100%.:)

My wish list would include an Echo CS-80 and an Echo CS-1201, i would give my left nut for either and both aren't avail in the USA. :)

RaisedByWolves said:
Forget the homelites, their worthless.

Nope, no need to look at them.
That's just so you can horde them all!!! LOL:biggrinbounce2:

RaisedByWolves said:
You know that threads like this drive prices of desirable saws up, donchoo?

Just like what that worthless Barrett-Jackson car auction has done to muscle cars.:cry: :censored:

Gary

....and the BP-1 should be worth a lot, as I guess there are very few out there.....

....and the Alaska 1 ( first Husqvarna), as only 7 were made, and most of them are in museums. Only one is not accounted for, if memory serves....

Last edited:
GASoline71 said:
RaisedByWolves said:
Forget the homelites, their worthless.

Nope, no need to look at them.
That's just so you can horde them all!!! LOL:biggrinbounce2:

Just like what that worthless Barrett-Jackson car auction has done to muscle cars.:cry: :censored:

Gary

Thats it!! KK, bear with me now. We buy up all the little WildThingies, hang onta the best of 'em, and when they are all buned out collectors will be bangin' down the doors, just to have a running one :D

The way I look at this, is the one thats the most valuable is the one you are willing to pay for!!! How bad do you want that saw?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
The way I look at this, is the one thats the most valuable is the one you are willing to pay for!!! How bad do you want that saw?
Andy

Ya dag on tooting there brother Andrew. Anyone that wants to buy a collectable from me GOTSA PAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, and ALOT,LOL

Latest posts

Back