What are the most valuable collector saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are probably the rarest not so old ones

I've seen only 3 so far (and I live in Japan). They weren't sold abroad...
They must have been among the most advanced chainsaws of their time (early to mid 70s) - AV, chainbrake, no vibrations. But also expensive. Probably rare from the start.

These are probably the rarest not so old ones

I've seen only 3 so far (and I live in Japan). They weren't sold abroad...
They must have been among the most advanced chainsaws of their time (early to mid 70s) - AV, chainbrake, no vibrations. But also expensive. Probably rare from the start.

Slick! I actually wouldn't mind a modern produced cheap clone of those being produced. Since I found out about wankel engined saws, I keep wanting one, just seems to make sense for what you want in a saw..

The Stihl 090 is nothing... Go in the bit more rare end of big Stihl, the Contra S, G or GS... Those cost bigtime! And the most valueble of them all, the sandcast first year Contra with metal topcover... I dont even know the price!! I have been looking for one of those in years, but no look. Its my dreamsaw...

I know where a near mint Contra is near me,( yes GA/AL line), that can't be bought for any amount of money

OK. The key words here are "collector saws"; so let's screen out the muscle saws for muscle saws sake, racing saws, and any saw of which over 2000 exist today... Still, there are "collectors" who collect as many of a certain more or less modern make and model just because they love that particular make and model. We'll ignore them... they're fetishists. (I confess I have 30 Mac 3-25's.)

Someone mentioned the Alaskan... Yes!!
And any serious chainsaw museum would want:
1. Sector, Tapio, Wolf by Mill & Mine, Arbor, or any other saw from the 1917-1926 era;
2. the 1930's saws... no matter make or model... European or North American;
3. DJ Smith's unnamed prototype saw now in the hands of his grandsons;
4. other very early DJ Smith/IEL/Hornets;
5. any chainsaw of which only one (1) of that make and model is known to exist.

There's my two cents.

I think collector priorities have shifted somewhat in the past eight years. Some of the saws mentioned here back in 2006 are fairly commonly seen for sale today. But it's good to look back over the old threads once in a while...

Merry Christmas to All!!

Bob, those are truly hen's teeth. Only about 7-8 known to be in collectors' hands today.
I'm lucky to have got Mac 49 33 and Mac 49 183. Both complete and in good condition. :)

Whatever, I just have a soft spot for them because a Homelite Super EZ Automatic was one of the first saws I ever worked on.
Well I am sorry but when you comment on a post that is over 17 years old and pick at it you need to expect a bit of pushback. You attempted to pick at a great Homelite collector. If you took the time to do a bit of digging you would see that he has a seperate website dedicated to Homelite chainsaws.

That guy had more homelite saws then i can shake a stick at. So, yeah, your comments are hilarious.
Hey...."Dem dare" is fighting words" :) :)

My Homelite collection is not real shabby.

All joking aside for @MelonBoi1 to knock @RaisedByWolves is an ignorant idea. He put a poo ton of work into this site as well as his own I would post a link but I do not want to piss off the mods. (I do that too often as it is)

I like some of the older Poulin's. The 5200, 5400 and 8500 if in good shape don't go cheap and good saws. I have owned a lot of 3400, 3700, 3800 and 4000s, but the bigger ones are hard to find in good shape and cost a war pension.

Latest posts

Back