What are your must carry maintenance items when you go cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carb screwdriver, file and handle, scrench, spare bar and chain, 2nd saw for pinches.
Small brush for knocking dirt/sawdust off saw before oiling/fueling. Wedges and a small axe to drive them.
Chaps. Face shield. Brain bucket if climbing or falling. Phone and/or VHF in case of trouble.
If dragging big logs out of the woods, wire rope, snatch block and strap to secure to tree, chains, Peavey, etc.
A big (8 gallon) milk-jug crate is good for piling most of this stuff into...the grate on the bottom allows dirt, sawdust, etc., to fall out.

When I’m on the block or otherwise not too far from the road I carry a scrench, raker guage and a double bevel file (because learning square filing). That’s it. It all goes on my belt in the wedge pouch thing. Lots of saw stuff in the truck, though.

When I’m hiked in what seems like eighty thousand miles (usually more like 5-10) working fire or something similar where I have a full pack, I’ll carry extra bar nuts, an extra filter, clutch bearing, a stump vise, some extra chains, a drive sprocket, carb screwdriver and sometimes a bar in addition to the rest above. If I’m going out with a saw for 16 hours it’s going to be ready barring it getting smashed or burned up. And yeah, the swamper gets to carry some of the weight (plus a cubee).

Back