What bar and chain do you run on your 49sp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icedogs28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The 49sp I picked up has a completely blank bar. I know it's a 16 inch.. but no information at all about chain size, gauge, links ect... I would like to go to a 18" but would like to hear what you guys are running. .325? 3/8?
Thanks!

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll either go with a 18" or 20" in .325

18" .325 full chisel, 8 pin is about all they're good for......16" .325 is pretty much standard/stock.....3/8 X 7 pin will work but works better with the professional saws in that family...like the 52/52E.... same cc but altogether different top end.....more power/longer life....

Just make sure your sprocket or rim matches to .325.

Hmm... That is the problem I'm having now. The current bar/chain has no identifying marks what so ever. I have no idea if current set up is .325 or 3/8. And I seem to have lost my chain measuring tool. Guess it's time to order a new one. So, if the current setup is 3/8 will the .325 drive links not fit on the sprocket at all?

IMG_20180111_171457110.jpg View attachment 624904 View attachment 624904 This turned out to be one of those "I don't understand it, but it worked" things. I measured 3 rivets, divided by 2. Came out to what I thought was 3/8 (I'm a truck driver, my math sucks). I was about to leave for the saw shop when I decide to try the new chain before I made the trip. The new .325 chain measured exactly the same as the old one. So I threw it on and it worked great. Not sure how I messed up but I guess I had a .325 sprocket the whole time. Looks and cuts great! Very Happy!

Thanks again to everyone. Especially Sundance and cantdog. I usually just buy whatever the bar tells me to. This was my first encounter with a blank bar LOL

18" .325 full chisel, 8 pin is about all they're good for......16" .325 is pretty much standard/stock.....3/8 X 7 pin will work but works better with the professional saws in that family...like the 52/52E.... same cc but altogether different topk end.....more power/longer life....
As above I would not run a 20" bar on that saw if you can source parts a 16" 3/8 x 1.3 lo pro set up with a Stihl 63 PS chain will give you the best cutting set up for that saw

Back