What brand 390 cylinder for an 029 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcr357

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No luck finding an oem stihl 390 cylinder(other than 4-5 africans PM'ing me on here to scam me), so gotta use aftermarket. I'll be using a cross high comp piston and caber rings. It seems there are some pretty bad castings out there and I want to get a good cylinder for this build.

I just rebuilt a 039 and bought a Warhawk set (cylinder, piston, rings, bearings, seals, etc.). I have also used Warhawk in the past on an 029 big bore project. While I didn't use the cylinder this last time because I was able to save the oem cylinder, the casting was very nice looking as it was the last time I used one also. Plating looked great. What is also strange is the part number for the Warhawk cylinder was the same part number as Hyway, which I have heard good things about, and the rings that came with it had an HY etched into them, which makes me wonder if they are not actually the same.

I know there isn't much info about Warhawk on this site, but I was surprised at how nice the castings actually looked.
casting1.jpg
casting2.jpg

People may say what they luke, but I've had good luck with the few Htway kits I've used. But the box has to say Hyway, no generic box that has a Hyway cylinder in it. I got one in a generic box and the exhaust port looked like it was Asian!

I put a complete drop in Nikasil from Baileys. It went into a a straight gassed MS 390. Gave it to nephew. Running well.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

The one I did was Farmertec along with a carb and some other parts. Worked okay. Never compression tested it but the saw performs well. There was a wavy fin on the side of the motor you can't see. Seemed like it took forever to get broken in and running well.

Back