What caused the morphology of the tree on the right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_enthusiast12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted about this tree before, but was now more curious about what caused the morphology of the tree on the right? If it was through a natural cause, could the same cause have affected the tree on the left? Why do other trees in the same forest seem perfectly grown straight, but these two seem like odd ones you? Is it possible if humans interfered with either one or both of these trees? These are spotted gum trees in Australia about 2 hours from Sydney.

This was a proposed explanation for the left tree. Is this accurate? The last of the comment is talking about Islamic sayings, but that is because the tree resembles the shape of a person in prayer in Islam and so many people thought it was a miracle (also because it points towards Mecca where Muslims pray to)

1628071158344.png

Attachments

• mora.jpeg
    mora.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 15
  • mora2.jpeg
    mora2.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 15
  • mora3.jpeg
    mora3.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 15
Besides asking about the post you copied and pasted, is this a different question that the one you were asking in January? I don't see it as having been 2 trees. I wouldn't say impossible...but I don't see anything from that one angle that suggests it was formed that way. I'm still pretty confident it was a straight tree that got bent over when it was much smaller in diameter. I see nothing to suggest otherwise. Cause of that bend: there is no evidence that I see on that picture to suggest the cause.

Besides asking about the post you copied and pasted, is this a different question that the one you were asking in January? I don't see it as having been 2 trees. I wouldn't say impossible...but I don't see anything from that one angle that suggests it was formed that way. I'm still pretty confident it was a straight tree that got bent over when it was much smaller in diameter. I see nothing to suggest otherwise. Cause of that bend: there is no evidence that I see on that picture to suggest the cause.
Just to be clear, I’m asking what you think caused the OTHER tree, as in the tree most near it, or right beside it. I’m aware of the theories proposed behind how that tree came about (I.e. the bent one). The one beside it doesn’t look straight and has a big lump on it.
So my question is if you think that tree was caused by a similar cause to the bent tree or not. If so, would this cause be natural? Is human intervention possible? How likely would these causes be?

OK, I get it now. It is plausible that tree on the right was a single trunk up to the point of defect at which point there were multiple trunks.

Something like this:
6-leaders-w-included-bark.jpg

What causes that? Many times that is just how trees grow. However, if the tree were broken off at a young age at that height, it is not out of the question that multiple stems would sprout out of that wound (similar to topping wounds). What could have broken it off? Person could have cut it at that height. Something falling on it could have broken it off (at the same time the other tree got bent...so I'm liking that theory) or an animal could have damaged it.

OK, I get it now. It is plausible that tree on the right was a single trunk up to the point of defect at which point there were multiple trunks.

Something like this:
6-leaders-w-included-bark.jpg

What causes that? Many times that is just how trees grow. However, if the tree were broken off at a young age at that height, it is not out of the question that multiple stems would sprout out of that wound (similar to topping wounds). What could have broken it off? Person could have cut it at that height. Something falling on it could have broken it off (at the same time the other tree got bent...so I'm liking that theory) or an animal could have damaged it.
Out of those proposed theories, which one is most likely? I’ve attached other pictures in case. There’s also some footage of the tree and the corresponding tree if you’re interested.

4F60EB15-DFAF-4552-BE61-90EA0A4CE262.jpeg0E50D5B0-D94B-41CB-8CAF-5CE1A67E4EBC.jpeg

CAE6C6AF-66E9-4267-A1F6-52123B481E9B.jpeg

Attachments

• AAA5F307-39AB-408B-B206-174540FCB885.jpeg
    AAA5F307-39AB-408B-B206-174540FCB885.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
Out of those proposed theories, which one is most likely? I’ve attached other pictures in case. There’s also some footage of the tree and the corresponding tree if you’re interested.
I'm not interested. I work in the woods and see bent over trees all the time. This is no different than any other.

Latest posts

Back