What causes leaf curl in Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archi1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I just planted a 5'-0" tall Japanese Maple and I have noticed that portions of the tree have leaves that are shriveling up. Kind of curling up and dying. I don't see any evidence of a fungus or other external problem. I don't see any signs of insects or internal borers etc. Is this just something that happens? What about shock? The tree was beat up in spots during transportation to the site. We also had an extremely bad storm with high winds that the tree went through.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what I might do to stop this from continuing and perhaps getting worse, please let me know.
Thanks

The sun

They do best in the shade down here.

I see the same ones scortching year after year here.

I think they are more suited for Japan than Texas;)

Not that I haven't seen a few nice specimens in TX, but the nicest I have seen have been in more northern climates on more acidic soils.

Last edited:
if it was shipped in an open truck without wind protection I would betcha windburn is the problem, if it dries up, drops its leaves and comes back without further major injury you should consider yourself lucky. :)

Sun is one if its an initial quick blast of heat that comes up quickly - like cool weather to hot with no intermediate warm-up.

My red upright Jap. Maple looks great after our record breaking 4 days in a row of 94 to near 100 degree weather in Portland, Oregon area.

That tree will take 100. Maybe not 2 weeks in a row. But a couple at a time - of course mine is established.

Also, nursery trees shade each other. Newly planted trees can get burn from lack of previous shade, or small immature root systems. Year 2 may be much better.

Do a Google search on Verticillium Wilt - a soil born fungus thing. Maybe you have it there too. It can affect Jap. Maple, Vine Maple and other trees. It can cause shriveled leaves and dead stems.

Did you mulch over the roots good?

Are you watering the rootball good? Or are you watering the surrounding soil?

See our ADVICE TOPIC at www.mdvaden.com.

Go to Advice, then Landscape Advice, then it should be the last topic which has a photo to illustrate where watering is effective on new trees.

Originally posted by M.D. Vaden
Sun is one if its an initial quick blast of heat that comes up quickly - like cool weather to hot with no intermediate warm-up.

That is the definition of Texas weather. One extreme then the other.

Latest posts

Back