What chain for 28" 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange fever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I ruined the 28" chain for my Jonsered 2171 today. What would you all recommend as a replacement. I cut strictly hardwoods. A lot of Oak some Hickory, Locust, Etc. I don't use the 28" bar unless I need it. Usually use a 20" Bar with Stihl Chain.

If it's stock, I'd lean towards skip chain. With a little muffler work, throw on the full comp and let her rip.

When it comes down to it at work. I prefer skip chain for no other reason than there are less teeth to sharpen!! mind you when cutting hardwood they loose there edge quicker and are alittle more agressive when the tip is being used. But you will really see the wood moving difference in skip and comp when you have an agressive chain in soft wood. Where full comp can actually get it self completely bound up with chips skip shoots em out the back!
If you where running the 20 full comp would be the smoothest. I honestly dont know which is faster.

In my testing, you need more power to pull the skip variants, just because those chains bite more. My stock 372XP, 36" bar, cuts almost twice as fast with a skip chain on it, than a full comp. I was quite impressed the first time I used that skip chain, after I found out about it here.
I prefer Stihl chain, even on the Husky, because it wears so well.

Chris

From my experience with the 575xp, the skip chain it came with is disappointing. It dulls very very fast, and it never seems to cut that fast, it seems like the saw has more power but the chain can only cut so fast, I can't bog it down. I think full comp is worth a shot.

From my experience with the 575xp, the skip chain it came with is disappointing. It dulls very very fast, and it never seems to cut that fast, it seems like the saw has more power but the chain can only cut so fast, I can't bog it down. I think full comp is worth a shot.

With an out o the box chain, you need to lower the rakers first. If not it seems that the wood gust grazes the top off the tooth without getting a good bite of wood.

Did ya ever learn to sharpen a chain yet???

Latest posts

Back