What chain/sprocket do loggers use on husqvarna chainsaws (455 rancher)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Alexander

Reaction score
my dad had a husky model 50 which is pretty much the same as the rancher 455 which i have. he paid $100 extra to get a more aggressive chain which he had to also buy a different sprocket, he said it was the same as the loggers used but my question is can i have this set up on my 455 rancher and what do i need to buy. the chain that's on it is good for smaller stuff but it can't touch his model 50 with the bigger chain. the 455 rancher has the power but i think i will make a world of difference with a wider meatier chain. if you have this set up for your 455 rancher let me know how much of a diff it makes. also my cousin told me that stihl makes better chains could i get the better sprocket and fit a stihl chain on it. my dad said the bigger chain had diff spacing in the teeth that the sprocket bites but i couldn't find it on the internet
smile.gif

my dad had a husky model 50 which is pretty much the same as the rancher 455 which i have. he paid $100 extra to get a more aggressive chain which he had to also buy a different sprocket, he said it was the same as the loggers used but my question is can i have this set up on my 455 rancher and what do i need to buy. the chain that's on it is good for smaller stuff but it can't touch his model 50 with the bigger chain. the 455 rancher has the power but i think i will make a world of difference with a wider meatier chain. if you have this set up for your 455 rancher let me know how much of a diff it makes. also my cousin told me that stihl makes better chains could i get the better sprocket and fit a stihl chain on it. my dad said the bigger chain had diff spacing in the teeth that the sprocket bites but i couldn't find it on the internet
smile.gif
Wrong forum…better off in the chainsaw forum

Your dad had a 3/8 bar, sprocket & chain put on his 50. You can do the same on your 455.

I'm a logger and run .325 on most of my 50cc saws? 3/8 chain on larger saws...

If your 455 is running the same chain, or type of chain as when you bought it, you can likely make a big improvement by just getting a better chain, without having to buy a new bar, chain, and sprocket. A homeowner saw that you can buy in a box store will come with semi-chisel, safety chain. If you upgrade to full-chisel, non safety chain, you will notice a big difference in "aggressiveness". You won't likely find this chain in a box store. Full chisel chain has to be sharpened more often because it relies on the sharp point on the top front corner of the cutters. You can try a search here on AS, or look at Madsen's Online for a more complete explanation of chain types. If you look at the side of your bar, you will find numbers. These are the number of drive links, chain gauge, and pitch. Use these numbers to order new chain. It's better than using chainsaw model and bar length.

The 455 comes set up as 3/8", .050", Husky small mount - at least mine did. Check the chain - most came stock with a useless low-kickback chain that just doesn't cut.

I run the Oregon LGX .375 x .050 , Very happy with it. Bailey's is running a special Power match bar with two loops for 80 bills. Great combo. Part # OPC 20 CJ50 .

The 455 comes set up as 3/8", .050", Husky small mount - at least mine did. Check the chain - most came stock with a useless low-kickback chain that just doesn't cut.

Why do you say that? Mine came with 20", .050 ga., 3/8" pitch b&c, "vanguard" reduced-kickback round-chisel chain. IMHO it certainly does cut- just the usual problem with chisel chain- going dull very suddenly. Saw cuts well enough with it that a bud wants to buy it. Sold!

It's available since I got a Dolmar PS-6100. OEM chain there too is a "vanguard" with same specs as above. That combo cuts like a sumbitch, IMHO. Spares for it are Oregon LGX, though.

For lots of serious cutting with a 455r, I go for a 20" skip-tooth. Tossing in a couple of skip-tooth semi-chisels to go along with the 455r. They really spit some big chips. Quick to file, too.

I dont think loggers use the 455 saws, they are home owner saws...
I don'r think you'll find a faller trying to earn a crust using a 455 they are home owner not Pro saws If the fitted chain is a safety /lo kick back a depending on the wood you're cutting changing to a full or semi chisel chain (If the wood is Scruffy) "pro chain" of a size to suit the bar/sprocket & if you cannot yourself get someone who can get you a razor sharp edge on the chain cutters & you'll be good to go It"s amazing the difference between an average sharp & a really sharp chain to to ease & pleasure of cutting

I didn't realize how old this thread was when I first replied. I don't think that Elaine, had any misconceptions about the 455 Rancher being a Pro saw, just saying that her Dad bought a chain and sprocket similar to what the professional loggers use. Maybe another tooth on the sprocket for chain speed, and a skip tooth chain would help there as well. He may have also gone to a larger pitch chain, but if he had a roller tip bar, that would also require a new bar as well, starting to spend some coin now, But hey, I don't really NEED all the saws that I have, and a couple more that I still "NEED" ;) So who am I to criticize? :)

Doug

I didn't realize how old this thread was when I first replied. I don't think that Elaine, had any misconceptions about the 455 Rancher being a Pro saw, just saying that her Dad bought a chain and sprocket similar to what the professional loggers use. Maybe another tooth on the sprocket for chain speed, and a skip tooth chain would help there as well. He may have also gone to a larger pitch chain, but if he had a roller tip bar, that would also require a new bar as well, starting to spend some coin now, But hey, I don't really NEED all the saws that I have, and a couple more that I still "NEED" ;) So who am I to criticize? :)

Doug
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Latest posts

Back