What Climber's Knot(s) Do You Use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ePhoenix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I come from old school.... no spikes, no safety belt, no lanyard, no rope... just undue your pants belt and slip it in your little climbing saw's rear handle, buckle back up your jeans and start climbing... freestyle. LOL! That was in the early 80's. Shortly thereafter I discovered climbing spikes, so I'm not that old school.
icon10.gif

I've been using only one method for using a climbing knot now for descending and am curious if others still use it or are there better ones you use now?

I'll use a 120'-150' hunk of 1/2" climbing rope, depending if an idiot cuts the rope or not shortening it.:dizzy: Using a scaffold knot or something similar, I'll tie the rope onto a safety snap and leave about 20"-24" of slack, then tie the slack back to the main rope using a Blake's hitch or something similar. The only problem I've seen with this setup is that sometimes it will bind and it has to be loosened or as rope is feeding through it, it wants to coil up underneath it.

Does anyone use an identical setup or something close? I do see how some tie the main rope to a safety snap, then have another safety snap with a separate tail on it about 2' long. This way if/when the tail gets signs of wear, instead of having to cut off the end, they just reuse another piece.

ePhoenix
icon7.gif

Split tail... ok, thank you. I'm not up on the language and terms of the tools and techniques of the trade. Hence why I'm so anxious to learn more! In the next couple months, I'll be buying books, videos and getting as much learning materials as I can. I'm starving to learn more! Been doing it self-taught for years and tree work is just starting to get fun after over 25 years(off & on) of doing it!

:cheers:

ePhoenix

Are you using a saddle yet?

If you want to learn a bunch of different styles, techniques, and see the latest gear you should go to a green expo, and/or a Tree Climbing Competition.

We have a GREAT expo coming up here next month, called New England Grows. It involves the whole green industry, unlike TCI Expo, but is largely focused on Arboriculture.

Also you should pick up the book; Tree Climbers Companion. This will most likely answer all the questions you have.

Good Luck and BE SAFE!

blakes hitch is tried and true nothing wrong with it but like the others have said you can buy whats called a piece of split tail rope and put you blakes hitch on a seperate carbiner. So next time you want to advance you climbing line you dont have to keep re-tieing a knot. then you can go even further and get yourself a micro pulley a piece of any of the ropes iceline tenex beeline and run a Distil, shwabish, or french prusik. those are about the only ones i use for friction.

I come from old school.... no spikes, no safety belt, no lanyard, no rope... just undue your pants belt and slip it in your little climbing saw's rear handle, buckle back up your jeans and start climbing... freestyle. LOL! That was in the early 80's. Shortly thereafter I discovered climbing spikes, so I'm not that old school.
icon10.gif

I've been using only one method for using a climbing knot now for descending and am curious if others still use it or are there better ones you use now?

I'll use a 120'-150' hunk of 1/2" climbing rope, depending if an idiot cuts the rope or not shortening it.:dizzy: Using a scaffold knot or something similar, I'll tie the rope onto a safety snap and leave about 20"-24" of slack, then tie the slack back to the main rope using a Blake's hitch or something similar. The only problem I've seen with this setup is that sometimes it will bind and it has to be loosened or as rope is feeding through it, it wants to coil up underneath it.

Does anyone use an identical setup or something close? I do see how some tie the main rope to a safety snap, then have another safety snap with a separate tail on it about 2' long. This way if/when the tail gets signs of wear, instead of having to cut off the end, they just reuse another piece.

ePhoenix
icon7.gif
sounds like no school. good luck and welcome to A/S

That "no school" has gotten me quite far. I'm proud it. I have that companion book tucked away some where. I know Jeff the author of that book as he lives a short ways to the south of me. Climbs like molosses in winter along with carrying 50lbs of the latest safety gear, but that's him. Never heard anything bad about him and he was doing it for years, so that's good in my book.

As for the saddle, yes, been using it for many years. I like the common 4-D ring with butt strap and 2 small buckles, nothing special. I also am dying to get to some expos and conventions. Seems like when a guy does something as long as I have that he'd be tired of it, but I'm anxious to get rockin' with some new ideas. Got to work off some of those Mickey D burgers. LOL!

Thanks much!

ePhoenix

speaking of knots

check your knots as soon as you can. find out if you are infact actually using a blakes hitch. A blakes is a great knot and you shouldn't have to many binding issues. I have a feeling your actually tieing a different knot unless your rope is really sappy. :p I think you will find the newer gear will increase your safety and productivity. Go to sherril's web site and browse a while and see what you have been missing out on.

check your knots as soon as you can. find out if you are infact actually using a blakes hitch.

Yes, check it, I had it tied wrong and came down real fast, could have been fatal. Now I am back to the tried and true tautline. But, if you don't freeclimb and have only one scare strap, the blake with a split-tail is great.

Yes, you guys are on it. I should have clarified myself...

I don't know the name of the first knot I used for many years, but then I learned the Blakes hitch. The coiling disappeared once I switched.

As for catching up, I've been studying several tree-related websites and have already received 5 retail catalogs from the more well known outfits and have several more coming. I will join the 2 larger national tree related organizations and have plans on travelling to conventions, etc, along with reading many books... and watching several training videos. Plus I've learned plenty just asking questions and reading the many posts. Good stuff.
icon14.gif

Thanks,

ePhoenix

Double Figure 8's

I only ever use double figure eight knots. At college we've been taught to use bow lines, but I'm quite inexperienced, and I feel safer doing double 8s. They're much faster when you're fannying about trying to set up your cambium saver too. And they have decent momentum when you're chucking your line around the trunk.

Double Figure 8s FTMFW!

as a professional climber (not a professional arborist - maybe semi-pro) it's my opinion that you should at least buy a proper sit harness and tie in with double figure 8's or Alpine butterflies if you're in the middle of a rope for whatever reason. Personally when I set up ropes for my crews though I use a re-belay and then set up the newer guys straight drops for them to get up and down while de-limbing. Then typically the level 2s and level 3s get to work bringing down the spar.

Tautline hitch, 3 loops counterclockwise down, 2 loops clockwise up. Clearance, is that how you tie yours?

The splittail and other knots have some advantages that I have seen, but also have downsides.

On 1/2" rope i like the blakes hitch ... on 3/8" ill use the martin.

Hey Treeseer what possible downside could a splittail have?

Latest posts

Back