what did you get started with

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just starting

i went out tonight to pay for my new to me equipment.i bought a 1997 international 55ft bucket truck with chip box and a vermeer 12in chipper.looking forward to making this work.

actually...

Can't haul a big chipper with a little truck. Add 10 yards of green waste at 1000lbs each, and you are grossly overloaded. Simple math says no, unless you are toting a tiny chipper as well. Ooops. Now you are going to work real hard to get that truck full of chips.

Most tree services shoot for the just under CDL size, just because they can't keep good drivers.

im a driver/groundsman/climber and most companies go for just under cdl for insurance reasons. But med. Duty truck with a lifting bed and a rayco chipper work just fine for us. We do about 3 or 4 trimmings and a removal a day.

I'm 25 owner operating. Great to see this stuff cause I'm just starting myself, everything I get is better then what I had 7 years ago which was nothing. I've got dosko 13hp grinder, morbark 17 and cheap 5k isuzu NPR 130k miles,goes good.View attachment 270457

I like the mini boom have Ben thinking of putting one of those on a 550. Does it work better than a mini skid?

My dump and chipper are old, both 1987's. I basically fell into the dump about 5 years ago and have just made it do for tree work. I wanted a 12" disc chipper and this is the one I found and was able to afford. It may not be much by everyone else's standards but hey, I'm going out and working with it. This was the first day I used my chipper. I have since sharpened the blades, rotated the base anvil to a square edge and adjusted the clearances between them. It chips a whole lot better since.

I AM just getting started.:msp_biggrin:

Did you buy that bandit off the side of rt. 77 ? If so I looked at it a few years back . :clap:

Here are the 2 gems I got started with
unu2unem.jpg
vu6e5a6a.jpg
I know they were rough but i could fix em in my back yard , and they didn't cost me much .

I like the mini boom have Ben thinking of putting one of those on a 550. Does it work better than a mini skid?

Never used one before, but I use this thing for everything, working on chipper, or big stump grinder motor, always some use. I wish I had some 550 or 4x4 would be nice. Outriggers lift my front end so it's easy to change tires or get unstuck hah. I plan to run a splitter off the truck aswell

Can't haul a big chipper with a little truck. Add 10 yards of green waste at 1000lbs each, and you are grossly overloaded. Simple math says no, unless you are toting a tiny chipper as well. Ooops. Now you are going to work real hard to get that truck full of chips.

Most tree services shoot for the just under CDL size, just because they can't keep good drivers.
dmv as well as dot just cleard my truck for 19500 lbs grose combinde weight
and dmv has record for 14000 to 17000 gvw so you have a 6.10ft x 12.4 ft x5.4 bead easy to get 12 to 13 yards in it it
is a known fact on this site chips weigh in at betwen 500lbs to 700 lbs per yard
so yes you can do work with a small truck and tow a brushbandet 65 xp or a 200xp or a 95xp and have no truble with mr dot
not going to say you can do any job with it
but than aView attachment 271841gain if we all had jobs every day that would be trees larger than 50 to 70 ft that had 5 cords of wood in trunk metrial than we would all drive a bigger truck every day my avrage tree job is in this range that fits this truck i just did two dys of work 4- 35 ft tall trees one palm two bradford pair and two maple trees out the back yard and thay all fit with room to take the 55 ftView attachment 271842 red wood and 30 ft palmView attachment 271844 the next day
so to start out your compeny I can honesty say yes you can start out with a small truck
ill bet allmost 80% of those on this sight dident strat out with all the money it taks to get a large truck that is less than 10 years old
or large chippers less than 10 yeras old or that sthil ms 880 for that first tree
not flamiing any one
but I dont want to make that 23 year old woundering if he can start out on his own in 3 years with a small truck and chipper
cause the news is that next year he will have a family to feed
think it cant be done
it can be you might just have to think how else can it be done for less :rock:

first stump grinder

I wanted to find out what was your first stump grinder
not the first new one you bought
but what you started with
brings us back into the days like the vermeer 206
many say this was a work horse of the day
not going to say it can compare with todays models
so what did you get started with ?

Last edited:
I sure wish people would punctuate and spell properly when posting. Sure would look more professional.

well we might have to start this with my first one it was a vermeer 206
just gave the connecting rod a new place to move outside the block looks like a kohler engine 27 hp will replace it

well we might have to start this with my first one it was a vermeer 206
just gave the connecting rod a new place to move outside the block looks like a kohler engine 27 hp will replace it

Please use punctuation. It's very hard to read your post's.

Back