What do I need to use a shorter bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Softdraw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to use a shorter bar on my Poulan Pro PP5020. I have read most of the threads here related to the 5020 and found some good suggestions. However, I am not clear about the chain drive links. The PP5020 comes with a 20" bar, 3/8 pitch, and .050 gauge chain with 70 or 72 drive links. It has a KO95 mount. Assuming I can find a 16" bar with that mount, must I stick with a chain that has 70 links or must I find a 16" chain with fewer links? Will the new bar on the saw accept a 70 DL chain at 16"?
Thanks in advance.

Order a bar and chain combo for that model and you'll not have to worry.
Jim, thank you, but I am also looking for a chain that's a bit more aggressive than the stock version. I confess I am having some trouble finding a 16" bar that works. A poster mentioned one in one of the 5020 threads but I didn't write it down. I will go back and find it and start there.

Most bars will tell you the pitch, gauge and number of drive links. Its stamped into them close to the mounting slot.
Yes, but doesn't the number of links have to match the sprocket? Or said another way, must the gauge pitch and links on the bar match the original specs (70 links, in this case) for me to operate it safely?

Yes, but doesn't the number of links have to match the sprocket? Or said another way, must the gauge pitch and links on the bar match the original specs (70 links, in this case) for me to operate it safely?
Nope. Pitch has to match sprocket. Drive link count is length of chain. You will need to have those chains shortened to match bar length. Gauge is thickness of drive link and groove in bar.

All of that info is normally on the bar. 20in, 3/8, 50, 72dl as an example. That means its a 3/8 pitch 50 gauge and it takes a 72 drive link chain to fit it.

I'd like to use a shorter bar on my Poulan Pro PP5020. I have read most of the threads here related to the 5020 and found some good suggestions. However, I am not clear about the chain drive links. The PP5020 comes with a 20" bar, 3/8 pitch, and .050 gauge chain with 70 or 72 drive links. It has a KO95 mount. Assuming I can find a 16" bar with that mount, must I stick with a chain that has 70 links or must I find a 16" chain with fewer links? Will the new bar on the saw accept a 70 DL chain at 16"?
Thanks in advance.
Nope ,chain length is dependent on bar length a 16" bar chain length in std 3/8 is around 60 drive links usually size stamped on bar ko95 bar mount sourcing should be no problem that mount fits a lot of "Homelite" saws

Thank you! I found a PowerMatch bar yesterday online that looks like it will fit. Now I know to match it with a shorter chain using less links. I don't know if I expressed my question clearly here but I believe I am on the way to finding my answer.

Latest posts

Back