What do you guys do with your wood chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will be dump chips anywhere we can, home owners, municipalities, hoas, but if we cant find anywhere to dump free we pay $38-40/30 yrd load .

Past few summers we have had the county chip program chipping slash roadside for homeowners, the county opened up 3 dump sites for us on each side of the county. Dont want to say we took advantage but...

Once i removed 8 big live aspens, we chipped everything into a empty truck. Before we started working I spoke with the clients, the wife wanted the chips for mulch the husband was afraid itd be too much, they were probably 75. I told them it wad kinda all or nothing, so when we get done take a look and let me know... she said go for it. So i backed across their lawn and dumped 12 yards of green aspen and leaves in their flower bed. The next week they paid us to $250 to pick up the chips and haul em off.

And...does anyone use the chip truck as a urinal(#1 only) in residential/urban areas?

I sell mine on to local clients who I've had in place since I first launched my biz.

And...does anyone use the chip truck as a urinal(#1 only) in residential/urban areas?
Hah #1 #2 or #3 if the liquor is still rollin don't matter what u gotta do but if it means shutting down a 4 or 5 man operation to run to a gas station u can do it in the chip truck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

www.chipdrop.in Not active everywhere... I've rarely had a problem finding dumpsites, or people wanting chips, but chipdrop makes it even easier. A Portland based groundie who'd only been in the industy a couple years thought up the idea and started the website. Customers have the option of paying for chips at two different levels or getting them free. So, for the tree service, it can cost $20, be free, or add $20 to my account.
My bandit 250 has worn out feed rollers, and it makes stringy chips out of cedar or certain other material, so I do have to pay to dump sometimes. But, I usually tell them 2-4 yards even if I have 8-16, so I ususally pay $22-$55...not bad.

I'm lucky in the fact that I have a farmer who will take anything I can give him. We only have a 6" chipper so we make a lot of firewood. He takes it all and doesn't care if we dump mixed loads. Prior to that, we had a compost facility that took chips from everybody in the area, but they were super picky, and if there was even one piece in the load, the foreman would be out there screaming at you the next time you showed up. Then there's the times when you luck out and the guy down the street agrees to take the entire load. We don't have to resort to paying all that often but it does happen from time to time.

We used to have a farmer raising reindeer that would take poplar sawdust (this is big chips from harvester chain) to mix into the feed.

Also sold a bunch to a refinery to mix into the sulfur taken out of diesel. It was hauled to the dump but it had way too much fuel in it so they'd mix in the sawdust to "hide" the fuel from the dump.

I guess they fixed that setup and it doesn't have any diesel coming out anymore. Some loads they brought had easily 200-300 gals of diesel in the dumpster (big roll off). We thought about filtering it and using it but the sulfur in the fuelwould have been sky high.

Planer shavings we usually burn, no real demand.

We put ours in a big pile ;)
c11ca826311e3ec6b760824e2be27a99.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My entire back yard at the house is a matrix of raised garden beds made of 4x4s with paths between/around them. At the shop (a converted house on a large, double lot) I'm putting a road from the front of the lot to the back (street out front to the alley out back) and I'll use the chips on it, too. Both places also have 10' x 12' dog kennels with gravel in them, but I think I'll switch to using the chips in them, as well. I do landscaping and hardscape construction, as well as tree work, so I use a lot of them for that, too. I also sell them when I've got more than I need.

Latest posts

Back