What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the MS250 and ultimately bought an MS271. The 271 is often on sale so the price difference was insignificant. I used that 50cc saw with an 18” bar and felled many 100s of trees (mostly dead ash, some as big as 24”) and cleared even more trees from 11 miles of rail trail that runs through a heavily wooded area. It was trouble free… wore all the paint off the bar and replaced the clutch drum when I wore the spur gear out. I kept it clean and maintained the bar… On a whim I bought an MS261 (to compliment my MS461) and sold the 271. The 261 is in a whole different league but that 271 was an excellent saw for the money and offered more power and bar capacity over the 250 without breaking the bank.

We had a horrific ice storm last weekend and I’ve cut and bucked 40+ trees already and have 100s more to cut on my family’s properties… and then will work on the now 22 miles of rail trail. For this volume the pro saws are pretty much mandatory… the need for speed!

The beauty of the 250 is it's light weight and good handling. But there are too many negatives for me. Tho I'd still like to have one. Cheap. Since there are so many better saws that are priced reasonably for what they are, it is pretty far down the list..

I know they cannot be compared, but I bought my Echo cs590 new for considerably less than a new 250. Ridiculous.

I'm the original OP and I'll be DAMNED if I haven't changed my mind. I'm going with the Echo 590 over the Stihl 250. Just got home with the 590.

Here's why:

-- I HATE any kind of machine that won't start properly, especially a chainsaw. I hate sitting out in the woods, sweating like a racehorse and waiting for the chainsaw to start again. Lot of good comments here about the 250, but about 70 percent of the 250 owners admitted to recurring starting problems.

-- That five-year warranty is a big deal to me.

-- Opinions from ANY forum are just that - opinions. I asked for them and I got them and I sincerely appreciate them. But they are just a GUIDE to an ultimate buying decision. In this case, what they did do was convincve me to do a little more research on my own, and for that, I thank those guys who suggested it.

I read a ton and watched a ton of videos. Researched the people that wrote the reviews and did the videos. The 590 does indeed appear to be a far superior saw to the 250, and well worth the extra expense.

We'll see.

- Power and money. If this 59cc Echo works out the way l hope, I won't need to buy a bigger machine in the fall to complement the smaller 250. That's a huge money saver.

-- Customer Service. I started out a Stihl guy and I still am. I'll have to be convinced before I start crowing abut this Echo.

But my original Stihl dealer closed, and the new guys in town act like they're doing you a favor just letting you walk in the door. The Echo guys I've dealt with so far are the opposite. I know this is just a local thing, but that's who I'll be dealing with and I won't abide jerks.

-- There's some other reasons too but I want to get to reading the Echo manual and get to know this saw. I got some work to do before it turns hot here in Florida.

Thanks to everybody!

But, if this saw turns out to be a dog, I'm coming after you!

I'm the original OP and I'll be DAMNED if I haven't changed my mind. I'm going with the Echo 590 over the Stihl 250. Just got home with the 590.

Here's why:

-- I HATE any kind of machine that won't start properly, especially a chainsaw. I hate sitting out in the woods, sweating like a racehorse and waiting for the chainsaw to start again. Lot of good comments here about the 250, but about 70 percent of the 250 owners admitted to recurring starting problems.

-- Opinions from ANY forum are just that - opinions. I asked for them and I got them and I sincerely appreciate them. But they are just a GUIDE to an ultimate buying decision. In this case, what they did do was convincve me to do a little more research on my own, and for that, I thank those guys who suggested it.

I read a ton and watched a ton of videos. Researched the people that wrote the reviews and did the videos. The 590 does indeed appear to be a far superior saw to the 250, and well worth the extra expense.

We'll see.

- Power and money. If this 59cc Echo works out the way l hope, I won't need to buy a bigger machine in the fall to complement the smaller 250. That's a huge money saver.

-- Customer Service. I started out a Stihl guy and I still am. I'll have to be convinced before I start crowing abut this Echo.

But my original Stihl dealer closed, and the new guys in town act like they're doing you a favor just letting you walk in the door. The Echo guys I've dealt with so far are the opposite. I know this is just a local thing, but that's who I'll be dealing with and I won't abide jerks.

-- There's some other reasons too but I want to get to reading the Echo manual and get to know this saw. I got some work to do before it turns hot here in Florida.

Thanks to everybody!

Good for you! Good choice! If it’s tuned right from the dealer, you’ll be happy.

I was always happy with my ms270. Used it mostly with a "16 bar and worked great for my former yearly firewood detail. Had a "20 on it for a little while for one job with a good size frozen oak tree. That cut it from both sides with a few inches to spare. Never had a problem with it either way. Just picked up a used 291 and haven't used it yet. It was kind of an accidental buy since I have almost no reason for one saw anymore no less two...

Here's why:

We'll see.

Thanks to everybody!

I've never run a 590 but most everything i read about them is very positive. I have (and really like) some smaller echos. I'm pretty certain my next saw will be a 4910 to replace the 250.
If I was in the 60cc market the 590 is almost certainly what I'd be buying. With 2 036 Pro's have no need.
I don't have the heart to tell the neighbor who gave me the second 036 (needed a carb) and replaced it with a Stihl 311 that I really think he made the wrong choice. Wish he'd of talked to me before buying.

Here's why:

We'll see.

Thanks to everybody!

I'm glad you did your research and made an informed decision. That's what I meant about comparing the specs and the price no matter what the brand. I seen many people buy the wrong product just because of the brand.
I'm sure you saw from the reviews and videos that most new saws take a few tanks of fuel to "wake up". Some take longer than others. I read great reviews about the Dolmar 6100, so that's what I decided to buy. The first time I cut with it I was very disappointed. It didn't seem to have much power than my 30 year old Husqvarna 50. The second tank was better and now that thing is a beast. I'm sure you will be happy with the 590 once it's broken in. Some saws really respond to a muffler mod and others not so much. My little echo ,352 had a catalytic converter in the muffler, I removed that thing after the first tank of fuel. It gained 5 or 600 rpms and ran MUCH cooler, which was the biggest reason I did it.

I have a MS250 its a great little saw. I've never had starting issues. I swapped the muffler for a older style 025 muffler with the larger port. That really woke it up. It's one of my most used saws.
Curious to know when you acquired your 250.
I am wondering if there was some kind of internal change with the new ones.

I know all about tuning my Harley, I didn't realize you had to tune these chainsaws. More reading...
Yep, gotta make sure it’s tuned. If they are too lean it’ll seem like it’s running good but it’ll be slowly self destructing. It’s been the bane of many an Echo bought at the box store.

There are a few good videos about tuning chainsaws. I think there is one devoted to the 590, rev limited saws are a little different to tune than unlimited coil saws.
All of these stems were harvested with a Husq 50 w an 18" bar. The pile is a bit over 6' high and includes a 22" dbh one on the bottom that seems to be bashful and not wanting to be seen.
Friend of mine had terminal cancer and gave me this saw in 1985 and have been harvesting wood like this ever since.

Attachments

• P1010142.jpg
    P1010142.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • P1010143.jpg
    P1010143.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Curious to know when you acquired your 250.
I am wondering if there was some kind of internal change with the new ones.
Bought it about two years ago. I'm not aware of any changes made to the MS250 since it was introduced. It's basically a flippy cap version of the 025. The MS250 has a more restrictive muffler and different style air filter.

Bought it about two years ago. I'm not aware of any changes made to the MS250 since it was introduced. It's basically a flippy cap version of the 025. The MS250 has a more restrictive muffler and different style air filter.
Bought the one I had this past Nov. Murder.

Latest posts

Back