what do you guys wear when climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
when its hot what do you guys wear? i prefer http://www.mgear.com/pages/partners...d=0&item=532191&level2_title=Men's+Sportswear for pants, ive had some for 3 years and they hold up real well. for t shirts i prefer http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC/Pgonia/store/product.jsp?merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=124535&sku=45043 the stuff is real light weight and drys very quickly. i usually can manage to find the stuff on sale to avoid the high price. once you try a pair of these http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC/Pgonia/store/product.jsp?merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=124535&sku=45093 you'll never wear cotton again.

Low dough show here, Spike. I can't afford $32 T-shirts or $17 boxers.
Wrangler jeans from Wal-Mart, been averaging about $16 per lately. While I'm there I get the Dickies brand work T's. The grey ones are nice, I can bleach them with my whites and they hold up.

climbing attire

spike turned me on to the synthetic pants and shirts I wont wear anything else now.used to wear cotton shirts and carhart duck pants.when these clothes get wet they are uncomfortable with the synthetics when they get wet by the time you get to the next job their dry.best stuff around.

Clothing

Not that I have been up a tree a lot but we have no choice but to wear chain saw pants. I have two pair , one made by Bill's and another by FIV which are a little heavier. They are all synthetic, an agree they dry off quicker than cotton. Downside is these are hotter than **** in the summer. In the winter I just pull on a pair of Carhardt coveralls over them, and if it is really cold I have a lined arctic coverall by Carhardt as well, though that is pretty bulky.

Carhardt stuff is expensive and I find it wears out quickly in the crotch-I have Dickies duck is just as if not more durable and about half the cost. Same look if you wann make a fashion statement.

I'm a dinosaur. I wear jeans and a cotton shirt. I tear up T shirts and don't need the sun on my neck so I've switched to cotton twill button downs (with collar). In winter I'll wear wool occassionally.

Jeans and T

I'm a jeans and T kinda guy. Heat doesnt really bother me and I like to be fullprotected cause I hate gettin all those little annoying scratches and cuts all over myself. Winter I just wear a sweater and jeans.

Like Jumper, we have to wear the whole PPE kit for climbing if there's any chainsaw use. It's the chainsaw trousers that are the killer on a hot day I've got Husky design c at the moment, and I can't wait for them to wear out. You start sweating the moment you put them on and don't stop sweating till you take them off. About half way through the day I'll get cramps in my legs too. The next pair will be Sip's (the green ones) as they're a lot lighter, and better in the heat.

Must be a Commonwealth thing wearing Chainsaw pants . We also wear High Vis Orange shirts (High Uv rating) Lite I think polester.We also climb in steel cap boots and wear helmets...

Spike...didn't you like Toms idea of changing your name to Climb It ...Oh ....I get it ... you are refering to Ice climbing.

Whaterver comes close to fitting, then patch often.

Just bought some Carhart highwaters and a cheap pair of jeans, also highwater. Can only find 38x38 in dressier pants.

Had some dockers that lasted a while, but the last set rip all the time.

Got me the new Kiwi helemt that is all the rage. Done Blair's Sierra Moreno is carrying the dielectric version for $75

Here it is hot, Africa hot so bulky padded safety clothing is not an option here. What they call a "Heat Wave" up north is what we call a nice cool summer day here. 98-105 is normal. Drink a ton of water, wear cheap T's and Levi's, and keep a strong sense of self-preservation. Sweat will cleanse the demons from your body.

Stay cool

i like tearing up Wally-Mart Rustlers for $10 a pop; i think they are cheaper wranglers, throw em'out when they start getting that head climber look (ie. knees wearing out).

The 29x30's are write next to lil'kidz section, but ya might have to buy 5 or so when they actually have 'em in case your looking JP! i guess they are so popular that everyone wants them and they are hard to catch sometimes.

Now Murph don't ya know picking on Spike's name and ice comment is such a colde way to be?

Like sleevless shirts especially new, sellout $2-$3 dollar ones at same store this time of year.

Have been playing with diffrent foot wear, where are wee there?

:laugh: Stumper!

I like the camo pants, they hold up real well and are loose enough to let some air flow and just cotton tshirt with the sleeves thank you :p

I'm glad that there're other climbers who look at the clothes they wear
as "gear" too. Many climbers will have very specific, and expensive,
tools for tree work but have clothing that is the equivalent of junk.

Most of the tree climbers that use technical clothing are active in
rock/ice/mountain climbing or active in outdoor recreational sports.

I've been climbing in a pair of Arborwear prototype pants. Paul found a
material that he felt would make a good, durable pant. The material is
great! When they came in February I knew that they would be a good
winter pant. Since they are all synthetic they will dry quickly and not
make me cold if they get wet. During the jungle weather days we've had
this summer they are also comfortable. In July I wore the AW pants one
day when I would sweat them to saturation. That night I didn't wash them
and had to wear a pair of cheap [$10-$15 pair] jeans and that was a
very uncomfortable day. The pants have the AW crotch patch, double seat
and knees, redesigned top pockets, patch pockets above the knee with
flaps. The knee pockets are accessible while wearing a saddle.

Paul is hoping to have them in production by TCI. I know that he'll be
a hit when they are on the shelf. Even though they will be spendy, they
will out perform other pants.

Tom

I do own one pair of AW pants, but don't wear them often. They seem ok, but rather baggy in the crotch. Too baggy for me, I guess I'm between sizes. The knee pocket is worthless, I haven't found anything I need in a tree that will fit in it except my folding Corona saw, but I have a clip on it for my belt. If the knee pocket were 1/2" wider, they might be worth the $50 I spent on them.

in the winter i prefer mountain hardwear wind stopper pants. i've had a pair for 2 seasons of winter tree climbing and they held up great so far. they have full side zips on the legs so if you get hot you could just vent the pants. with some long johns under them your good till about 10-15 degrees. any colder and we don't climb tree's. if there's snow on the ground we don't work. i could just see the ground men slipping and slideing. i guess thats not an option for some of you guys in the colder climates.

I respect your input on performance pants, etc.

I just choose not to wear performance tree pants because my jeans don't wear out over time, it is usually all at once. i.e. - a hole, rip, etc.

Here dead wood does not just fall out of tree like in moist climates. It is arid here and most everything will stick you, sting you, or bite you.

We also have oakwilt considerations which require us to still paint all the wounds on live oaks and red oaks (though this is pointless). This means that getting paint on you and your clothing is inevitable.

I would just hate to go buy some expensive performance pants just to end up wearing them out in a week. Though I will offer myself as a test subject for some arborwear prototypes.

I have work clothes and interfacing with client clothes.

Any one ready for winter?

Nate

its just that dungaree's weigh a ton when their wet and take for ever to dry. i usually can find the stuff on sale. i just picked up 2 pairs of the The north face pants for a friend and i found them at 55.00 plus 30% off. so there really not to pricey if you shop right. i really feel for you with the painting thing. "hey i'm a climber not a painter"

Latest posts

Back