Protection--what do you wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudy M.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I ask this on a chainsaw site because of what someon told me today: This guy has worked in a foundry for 31 years and refuses to wear protective gear. Some of what they wanted him to wear actually caused injury because he couldn't move away fast enough from molton metel. He is retiring soon because the will make him wear stuff he doesn't feel safe in.

What do you wear chainsawing? I have some some marks and cuts on my Carhart Arctic pants--it woke me up! I wear eye and hearing protection and gloves. I am terrified of kick back and always try to position myself so I am not in line if the saw does kickback--and never saw alone! I have a hard hat, but am thinking of one of those face, head, ear hats. Chaps? yes or no? What about a cut shirt? Plastic motocross chest protector?

I am 51 and OK with a saw--not a pro--but my dad was in the business of making bushel baskets and strawberry crates from scratch and we had our own logging crew---even used a helicopter a few times--what a site to see a 3' dia tree 60' long slip off the hook and fall into the swamp never to be seen again. Visitors to this planet will wonder how that got there! Helicopter would go up about 700' in a second--toss your cookies or come close!

Long Pants, Tall Bots (i.e. 8" or higher), Hardhat, eye protection, hearing protection (built into the hardhat), and most importantly chaps. I wear the "Apron" style chaps from Stihl.

I use safety glasses, ear plugs, leather work boots and leather gloves.

Either those or a Trojan.

Never really felt that I needed any more than that. Probaly should have more........

Last edited:
If you are feeling selfish, put the ribs on the inside. What kind of protection are we talking about anyway? ;)

When i cut fire wood, i wear chaps and ear protection. When felling dead trees, hardhat too. If there's nothing in danger of falling on me, i SOMETIMES won't wear my hardhat, but that's only on rare occations.

... I always use ear and eye protection. Picked up the helmet combo's a few years back and can't imagine cutting much without them. Just bought a pair of the Labonville chaps but haven't used them yet. Levi's have always been good enough up to this point. Got a few nicks in them from time to time but no braggin' scars. I'm more worried about the tree biting back rather than the bar and chain.

I always were a raincoat. Sometimes, the task requires ear muffs and safety glasses. Every now and then one need a good gas mask to keep the fumes out.......

:biggrinbounce2:

Chaps, Hardhat, safety glasses, earplugs, and leather gloves. Sometimes a face screen when I feel like messing with it. I have had a couple of close calls with my eyes so the safety glasses are on whether I have a face screen or not.

When I was a kid working on fires safety was beat into me,and I hated it! Now that I am older, no longer using a saw that much only on my day's off looking for firewood I appreciate what I learned! I value all body parts and my life much more now than I did as a 19 year old. I wear all ppe everything head to toe. The nearest hospital is at 80km from me when cutting wood and most of the time I am out by myself. Now I can see the point of some on here about comfort maybe that is why I hate to cut in the summer I rather be out at -25c than +25c any day. I will also say if I am trimming a tree in the back yard I will wear only ear protection and gloves. I guess I don't really practice what I preach!

At minimum, steel toe boots, eye protection, gloves, and 99% of the time, I now throw on a Stihl hardhat with integrated ear protection, and face shield.
I also wear chaps when bucking trees in the woods.
I have Baileys full wrap pants/chaps, too hot for warm weather,
Labonville chaps are comfortable, convenient.

Latest posts

Back