what do you guys wear when climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold

[ your good till about 10-15 degrees. any colder and we don't climb tree's. if there's snow on the ground we don't work. i could just see the ground men slipping and slideing. i guess thats not an option for some of you guys in the colder climates.

Wow-you would not work much here from Dec-Apr! Actually I prefer to work outdoors when it is cold, and slipping as a groundman is not much of a problem. Another advantage, cleanup is a loy quicker because all the little twigs and stuff "disappears" into the snow.

I think the coldest day we worked last year was -10F, although lots of warming up in the truck for the climber-I was not cold at all. It is the wind that makes things miserable.

the twigs disappearing was part of the problem. i once did a job with snow on the ground. the guys did there best on the clean up. then when the snow melted i had the customer call and complain about the mess. so i had to go back and rake and blow the lawn.

Originally posted by spike_it
the twigs disappearing was part of the problem. i once did a job with snow on the ground. the guys did there best on the clean up. then when the snow melted i had the customer call and complain about the mess. so i had to go back and rake and blow the lawn.

The trick here is to make it perfectly clear on the bill that it is impossible to clean up to summer standards with 2 feet of snow on the ground. In any event the $$$ charged tends to be a little less, so stress they are getting a real "deal", but they will have to do a final cleanup in the spring-most people tend to anyways.

I try to wear ArborWear everyday, and I finally have enough pairs to do that. I'm not usually on the tree crew because they only work 4 days a week so I get to spend about one a week with them. The pants are great - I showed them to Susan Mudd of Mudd Jeans one day, and she liked them, especially the material.

Can't wait to see the new AW stuff!

We've had to come back for people in the spring after the snow melted, so we make it clear now that the price doesn't include a free spring clean-up.

Nickrosis

No offense to the inovator but does any one else find the Arbor wear ad annoying "....I don't know what it is but I'll cut it down."?!?!

I sure do. It's a side of the industry that I'm embarassed about and having been working to change (lifetime project).

Another thing.... I LOVE the knee pocket on AW pants! It's the designated home for my Nokia phone - perfect fit, never falls out, and easily retreived. Can't imagine putting anything but a phone in there... I don't like wearing jeans because I have to put the phone in my pocket, which is uncomfortable.

Nickrosis

Latest posts

Back