What do you think the next new husky will be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent denny

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was just thinking that with the demise of the 365 that they no longer have a saw in the 60cc class. The 357xp-359 to the new 570-575xp chassis seems like a big jump. A new 60 something cc xp class saw would be nice if it weighed in under 13 pounds. What does everyone think? :blob2:

I kind of feel that 60cc saws are kind of a bastard size. If the 45-50cc saw isnt what you need then a 70cc rig will do fine.

They don't seem to be overly popular do they. There's been a few good ones though ....Husky 266 and the Stihl 034 Super to name a couple.

Jeff

I don't like the motor on the 575xp. I hope all the Husky saws are not like it. For a 70cc saw I think the 2171 Jonsered on top now. But, they will be gone too. What will we race?

Ricky

YUKON 659 said:
They don't seem to be overly popular do they. There's been a few good ones though ....Husky 266 and the Stihl 034 Super to name a couple. Jeff
My vote for the best 60cc saws would go to the Husky 262xp, with the (non-US) Stihl MS361 as a close second. That is based on power to weight and quality. Both weight less than 13 lbs.

It doesn't cost much to speculate about the future -------

A bigger engine on the 357/359 chassis wouldn't be a bad idea, but I am afraid that xp saws based on the 455 design, and/or replacements for the 385 and 395 with 575-like design, is more likely. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was low 50ies cc xp either, to compete more favorably with the Dolmar PS 5000 than the 346xp can, either. 353xp sounds good............

Last edited:
P_woozel said:
I kind of feel that 60cc saws are kind of a bastard size. If the 45-50cc saw isn't what you need then a 70cc rig will do fine.
bastard size... depends. The MS361 I bought last year is a 60cc saw, and I consider it my most useful "all around" saw... meaning if I only wanted to carry one saw into the woods, it would be my 361. Small and light enough for trimming and light work, but enough muscle to fell a good sized tree with my 20" bar on it. My MS460 gets a bit heavy for small stuff after a full day in the woods, and anything less than my 361 is too anemic for felling. I kinda like the 60cc size.

SawTroll said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was low 50ies cc xp either, to compete more favorably with the Dolmar PS 5000

What Dolmar Ps 5000?

P woozel has a point about the 60cc range, Yukon is correct too, the 266xp and the 034 are very good saws. I don't like the specs of the 575, wieghs more than a 372 with the same power? I use 372s all the time they are fast and powerfull saws, but compared to the old 200 series saws (266xp, 288xp etc.) they feel and look kind of cheap and weak. The perfect Husky for me would have all the power, outboard clutch and adjustable steel chainbrake. Sadly, I think Husky has had thier day in the sun already.

clearance said:
The perfect Husky for me would have all the power, outboard clutch and adjustable steel chainbrake. Sadly, I think Husky has had thier day in the sun already.

Hmmm.. sounds like my husky 61!
;)
How much ya wanna spend?!?!
:)

P_woozel said:
I kind of feel that 60cc saws are kind of a bastard size. If the 45-50cc saw isnt what you need then a 70cc rig will do fine.

That is the way that I thought until a got the EHP359.......now there's a saw!!!

Will run with or past a stock 372! So much so that I gave Ed my 2 372's to port!

"My vote for the best 60cc saws would go to the Husky 262xp"

I emphatically agree. That was a great saw.

Candice nice to see you posting again, I hope all is going well since the honeymoon. Have you talked to Roger lately.

rahtreelimbs said:
That is the way that I thought until a got the EHP359.......now there's a saw!!!

Will run with or past a stock 372! So much so that I gave Ed my 2 372's to port!
I dont doubt it, but how about a 32" bar on that little saw I thinks it will show that a larger powerhead is called for. Maybe I should have said its a bastard size out west, the only possible exception being north of the Alaska Range, and then a 45-50cc rig would be more appropriate. :blob5:

I don't know if the J-red 670 counts as a 60cc (or so) model (pretty much same saw as 266/268xp), but I think that size was just about perfect for most needs in my area. Once in a great while a guy could get into really big timber requiring bigger than 20" bar here, almost never. I replaced a J-red 70-E with the 670 and never looked back.

I took a regular job in town, quit cutting down as many trees, and siezed the old 670 a couple of years ago; I lucked into a 625 at a farm auction; 60 cc's and not as much raw power as the 670, but a more forgiving powerband. I liked it almost as well as the 670. Now that 670 runs again, I have more choices, but I'd be sad to think that there were no more choices in this range.

In my opinion, the 575 is the first of the next generation, just like the 61 was a while back. Soon enough, the 575 will be yesterday's news, just like the 61 was; the extra weight in a 75cc saw will feel just fine in an 80cc model.

The 154/254/357/359 series is closing in on sunset; I'd say that the 545 series will have a "pro" model or two based upon its chassis, maybe up over 60cc. I think it's a pig at 13#, compared to the 357/359, but it is marketed right now as a 55 replacement.

Others will say that Elux and Stihl have seen the handwriting on the wall; the market for quality saws has come and gone. Maybe so; the pro will soon be stuck with either last year's saws, or last year's designs. maybe that's allright; aftermarket parts for certain models will soon become lucrative enough that prices will drop; keeping that old 372 or 044 in fresh cylinders and pistons may be an atractive alternative to buying the latest consumer clunker. Many dealers make more money on parts and service; don't look for them to kick too much!

sawdust What Dolmar Ps 5000?[/QUOTE said:
It is a quite new 50 cc saw by Dolmar; 2.8 kw, 5.1 kg, comp release, heated handles avaliable.
As far as I know it is not availiable in the USA yet - possibly an emissions issue.
There also is a PS 4600, with 46 cc's and a bit less power (2.6 kw).

I would like to think that people will get more interested in what they get for the money. I doubt that those who by the cheep saws, are awere of what they bye. Some are of course, but many just dont care.

I understand that sometimes there is a place for this, but I belive many think they can cut everything with annytning, this is not correct.

Fire is the tuffest job a saw ca have if it is run all day, it cuts more than a wood saw does in a week. not having saws that is good, easy gets expencive.

Latest posts

Back