what do you use to keep the critters away

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangnail

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In your wood pile what do you use to keep the bugs and critters from making home in the wood pile? We used to use some diazon (sp) but from what i hear, thats no longer avaliable, something to do with it being real bad. :confused: but basically I am looking for some thing like it, that you can throw the granuls at the wood pile and it will trickle through.

I've read here where others use Borax regularly around the house and wood pile to keep out insects.

For mice and critters Cheyenne Pepper sprinkled here and there around, under and over the pile seems to keep most things from establishing a nest there.

Something about - they go in search of water and don't return.

I've read here where others use Borax regularly around the house and wood pile to keep out insects.

For mice and critters Cheyenne Pepper sprinkled here and there around, under and over the pile seems to keep most things from establishing a nest there.

After I read this the image of a rat with a wild look in his face looking for something to drink came to my mind. Almost made me lose my mouthful of rootbeer all over my monitor. Thanks!:clap:

My piles get stacked pretty quickly, on pallets, and I keep the growth trimmed often. The wood stays dry, and haven't had an issue worth looking into, sure there is the errant mouse nest, or hibernating insect(wasp,yellow jacket), snake, but they just pop/sizzle like any grilled food when thrown in the furnace.

So far, the ants clear out after I stack the wood.:clap:

I don't use anything on the insects. Now on the chipmunks and such a 22 handgun of any sort is pure enjoyment and the woodpile really gives them a good place to concentrate there numbers, plus clear shots abound.

C.B. :chainsaw:

After I read this the image of a rat with a wild look in his face looking for something to drink came to my mind. Almost made me lose my mouthful of rootbeer all over my monitor. Thanks!:clap:

Da Nada !

Started trying that on a kennel-kept dog we got yeas ago. He would eat his own excrement. It was because he was kept is such close quarters with it for too long in the kennel. He now stays well clear of any 'seasoned piles' and the garden.

In your wood pile what do you use to keep the bugs and critters from making home in the wood pile? We used to use some diazon (sp) but from what i hear, thats no longer avaliable, something to do with it being real bad. :confused: but basically I am looking for some thing like it, that you can throw the granuls at the wood pile and it will trickle through.

I don't use anything. I don't care if there are bugs in the wood pile.

hi yeild 38 is the strongest stuff we can get since diazonon.
I spray it for chiggars and ticks in my yard once a year with
success but fire ants I have not found anything that truely
works to eliminate them baster?s.

We have 75 chickens that just eat the chat out of bugs over in the wood pile, anybody have anything for keeping chicken chat off the wood pile?

Borax WORKS for bugs, is cheap, but once it gets wet its useless

i use Ortho home defense max.

i use it in and out of the house.

i second that:clap: stuff works the balls . although one interesting thing i split a piece of pine the other day that had some carpenters in it and i sprayed them directly and they did not die. i went back a few hours later and there was no sign of them. i've been using this stuff for two years and have had no problems what so ever (knock on wood)

We have 75 chickens that just eat the chat out of bugs over in the wood pile, anybody have anything for keeping chicken chat off the wood pile?

maybe an animal to eating the chicken chat!!! but then what do you do with the new animals chat?? never ending cycle LMAO. i would imagine you don't have a tick problem though ha? i heard chix eat them right up

Speaking of critters in your wood pile.. I spotted this little guy last night.

imgp9322cz8.jpg

I would imagine you don't have a tick problem though ha? i heard chix eat them right up

You're right, Thats how the whole chicken thing begin, in the spring we have ticks bad and the dogs would get them, so I thought maybe would could get some Guineas because they are tick eating machines, well after the wife got those she decided she wanted chickens, it's all down hill after that. But yeah I don't think we have the bug population we once did. And they do hang out at the wood pile non-stop. When I take the Bobcat and move wood around they run like hell towards it, it's comical:dizzy:

I have a few cords of eucalyptus unsplit lying around. When I pick up the wood to split at the bottom of my lot is is full of termites and grubs. I take the wood up the hill to my splitter and split the wood. The bark comes off and exposed the grubs and termites ,and the insects the grubs turn into. I toss the split wood into a pile. I notice the pile has black ants running around it. Mocking birds come down to my pile looking for the grubs and insects. I also see some lizards. When I get ready to pick the wood to bundle or burn I notice all of the insects are gone. I believe the black ants are eating everything that the birds and lizards don't find.:) I have also noticed the ground squirrels have been coming into my yard since I started my wood pile I would like to get ride of them maybe some morning target practice with my pellet gun will thin them out. David

Latest posts

Back