What does an asterisk (*) mean in a Stihl parts list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemorley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found a parts list for my MS250 C-BE, but notice that some of the parts have two different #s listed for the same application, with the lower numbered one marked with an asterisk, and followed by a number in parenthesis that looks almost but not quite like a date - for example, (32.2004). It's tempting to assume that it is a date, and the lower numbered part should be used on the machines build before that date, but there is nothing in the parts list to explain or confirm it, or clarify what the 32.2004 means.

The part I am concerned with is
1123 195 7201/7202

Another curious thing about the above number is that none of the other parts that engage that part have earlier and later versions, which make one wonder why they changed just the one part, but still list them both.

I'm pretty sure the "*" means that there are two parts available that do the same thing. The 32.2004 is a technical service bulletin number that introduces the parts differences in the 250C and the 250C with Easy Start in 2004. As to why they offer both parts? I have no clue. Maybe they just had a bunch of them. Anyhow, if I was ordering the parts in my shop I would order the 7002 version.

Hi

The "*" means part for previous models. AKDoug as a Stihl dealer should know that, or see that in the Legend of Mediacat. The * 1123 195 7201 is the Pawl for older models and was replaced with pawl 1123 195 7202 for newer models. The Change was descriped in TI 05.2005. The * 1123 195 7201 is currently availible until 2014.

Oddly enough, Stihl offers us nearly zilch on training on Media Cat and I've yet to find the legend for the online MediaCat. Thanks for the heads up.

To further complicate the problem, only part number 1123 195 7200 appears in the MS250C section of Media Cat, but if I go to E-Service I get the part numbers of 1123 195 7201/7202.

It's all a learning process and Stihl's online stuff has a ton of "issues" that keep even dealers guessing.

Often there's only one part available if they update the version. There can be NOS around on shelves but once they produce a better/newer version of a part they stop manufacturing the old one. Kind of annoying if you wanted, say, a tank for an 044 with a screw cap. You can get the tank but it's gonna be a flippy.

Sometimes they have two verions of a saw with different parts, say for example arctic models, or heavy duty versions of the same saw.

So how does one decide which to use if one does not have access to the applicable SB? Or in this case, which do I use?

Hi

The "*" means part for previous models. AKDoug as a Stihl dealer should know that, or see that in the Legend of Mediacat. The * 1123 195 7201 is the Pawl for older models and was replaced with pawl 1123 195 7202 for newer models. The Change was descriped in TI 05.2005. The * 1123 195 7201 is currently availible until 2014.

I shouldn't post at 2 in the morning while waiting for my wife at the airport. The pawls in question are the ones on the flywheel, not the ones I mentioned above. The 7201 and 7202 pawls are specific to their respective flywheels and should not be interchanged.

Thanks, that diagram is very useful!

But how can they be specific to their respective flywheels if there is only one version of the flywheel listed? Though there is a reference to (25.2005) after the flywheel #, but I have no way of knowing what it says. It appears to me that it is not possible to properly service a Stihl without access to the SBs, and there doesn't seem to be any way for the consumer to access.

Oddly enough, my saw, according the the diagram, seems have the early-style pawls, and the late style flywheel (there are stepped openings in the inner wall corresponding to the lines on the lower middle to the R of the pawl. So they must have made a running change in the flywheel so it worked with both style pawls, and continued to use up the old style pawls.

I shouldn't post at 2 in the morning while waiting for my wife at the airport. The pawls in question are the ones on the flywheel, not the ones I mentioned above. The 7201 and 7202 pawls are specific to their respective flywheels and should not be interchanged.

Thanks, that diagram is very useful!

But how can they be specific to their respective flywheels if there is only one version of the flywheel listed? Though there is a reference to (25.2005) after the flywheel #, but I have no way of knowing what it says. It appears to me that it is not possible to properly service a Stihl without access to the SBs, and there doesn't seem to be any way for the consumer to access them.
all bulletin 25.2005 tells you is that the connection between the shaft and taper of the flywheel must be clean and grease free...it shows up on every ipl under the flywheel on all the newer stihl equipment

Latest posts

Back