Reading Stihl IPLs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggyBuggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm trying to read the Stihl 066 IPL. In some cases, there's multiple part numbers for the same part.

For example, for the tank housing (page 11) the diagram references IDs 1 and 7. Both these IDs are listed as "tank housing".

ID 7, however, carries an asterisk beside it and the notation "-> X 39 176 185 (01.98)

I think this means that there are different part numbers for saws with serial numbers greater than "x39 176 185". Presumably this serial number was issued in 01/98.

What I can't figure out is whether the extra notation means that part 7 is to be used for saws Built AFTER the specified date, or before. In other words, given a particular serial number, how does one know which part number to use ?

Thank you !
Terry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The asterisk denotes previous model, i.e. Flat top 066. The serial number would be "up to" xxx
So, the part number without asterisk would be for the latest model of the saw ?

Thank you !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well Nuggy, I haven't posted here in a long time, and now I am answering you twice in one sitting!
Anyway good comments and questions.
So in the older IPLs when you see an * it means the part is for older models, and the first part with no asterix is the current part. So the older part will have a serial number range and this is where it gets a little sticky.
STIHL units made in Germany will have a 1 at the beginning of the serial number, made in USA a 2, made in Brazil a 3, China an 8, and just starting late last year USA is now a 5 because they ran out of numbers.
So on the old IPL the X means disregard the first number of your serial number which is actually the 8 numbers after the first number. Does that make sense?
From your post above:
ID 7, however, carries an asterisk beside it and the notation "-> X 39 176 185 (01.98)
So if your saw has a serial number of 139 176 185 you would use reference 7 but if the serial number was 139 176 186 you would use the reference 1 tank. (01.98) refers to the Tech Bulletin that describes what changed between the 2 tanks.

Thanks Stihl #1 ! I was doubly confused because I've seen parts sold online where they advise certain parts only fit models before certain serial #s, only those serial # breakpoints don't match up with serial # breakpoints in the IPLs. I guess I should consider the Stihl IPLs to be definitive ?

Latest posts

Back