What does F/W generally cost per cord in your area ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! If I lived on long island, Id be buying tomtrees free junk wood he stacks up outside his driveway!

hehehehe

Around $150 a cord here, oak or hickory, good luck on trying to sell most anything else, thats the pro guys who actually advertise cords or half cords, etc., but most CL ads talk about some nebulous load of wood. So much a load.... or a ric, rick, rack, rank, some other vague term, prices there really vary, 40 to 80. And you pretty much have to offer to stack, all the ads say stacked, so competition must be fierce.

As you can guess, I dont sell any, cant see making any loot at 150 a cord, delivered and stacked, doing it by hand like I do it. I think if you were really automated and machines did all the moving around, and you already had the machines, and free easy access wood..maybe. Like a processor then a big truck and a low bed and use a skidsteer and all the wood has been palletized, that way.

The economy is too dismal here, demand isnt high and way too many guys out of work who own a chainsaw and a pickup. And good hardwood trees just everywhere.

Kiln dried oak bundles are 2 for $8 at the grocery store. .75 cubic feet per bundle, looks to be half a dozen splits in there or so. Whomever is doing that looks to be the only guys making money.

delivery

One of my favorite things to do is to sit in front of a nice fire. I'd just like to say thanks to you firewood guys that DO deliver. I didn't always have a truck but I've always loved my fires! :) We don't heat with wood and I'm so happy that my oil man doesn't mind delivering either! Just charge for it so doing it doesn't make you crabby! lol

In northern BC the firewood guys are getting $160 for a cord (4 x 4 x 8) of dry Douglas Fir. Thats delivered into town (don't think they stack it though).

[

Kiln dried oak bundles are 2 for $8 at the grocery store. .75 cubic feet per bundle, looks to be half a dozen splits in there or so. Whomever is doing that looks to be the only guys making money.[/QUOTE]

yea thats a money maker for somebody,do the math. $682.cord. i'd saw wood in 100f for that kinda $.

A popular price for 1 cubic foot packaged wood at local gas stations is $8.85. When they add on the 13% sales tax it makes an even $10. Definatly room to make good money at that price. This is Oshawa, Ontario area.

In central pa seasoned wood is selling about $140 to $180 a full cord. In town it may be higher. That would be mixed hardwood. Thats what I have been told anyways. Most people around me who need firewood just buy a tri-axle load of tree length mixed hardwood. Sells for $650 -$750 a load and should yield 7-9 cord. A buddy bought a load of all white oak tops for $650 and he got a little over nine cords stacked when it was all said and done. It was very nice wood. That works out to $72 per cord, but he did all the cutting and stacking. Most of the wood did not need split. A least not if you had an OWB.

I get 220 a cord delivered within 20 miles thats for a tossed on one ton load my sides are four foot. All mixed hardwood. Some get as high as 280 for all oak or cherry. I sold 40 cord last year in two mths. Want to do 60- 80 this year. All my wood either comes from my property or my tree jobs.

Zogger the same around here too.Economy not the greatest and everyone and there brother owns a truck, chainsaw and lawnmower.:laugh: Between the dead ash everywhere and a storm that went thru the area acouple of years ago totally destroying some peoples woods there is plenty to be had. I have seen people selling form their homes all over for $35.00 to $45.00 a face cord. I like my wood too much to sell it that cheap. I have access to all of the wood I want and could sell it but it is too much work and time spent for that kind of money. I am just sayin.;)

around here a full cord is usually $150, face cord $50. the cost of the timber standing in the woods is $30 per full cord. Only an idiot tries make money around here cutting firewood.

Firsthand knowledge btw, as i sell some

-dave

I get 220 a cord delivered within 20 miles thats for a tossed on one ton load my sides are four foot. All mixed hardwood. Some get as high as 280 for all oak or cherry. I sold 40 cord last year in two mths. Want to do 60- 80 this year. All my wood either comes from my property or my tree jobs.

Now that is more like it! A bit more reasonable prices for the work and expense involved.

I was thinking about selling a few cord so I checked prices on CL. They are selling at $50 a face cord and that is delivered in a 30-40 mile range. I couldn't believe it. No way I could compete with that.
So I said to heck with it. I'll cater to the locals that don't burn a lot of wood and don't really need full cords or even face cords.
I built a rack at the end of my driveway. 4 foot long and 2 foot high. Screwed a coffe can to the side and a sign that reads $15.
It is nice dry ash, hard maple and cherry. I mix each rack so they get an assortment.
That would be $180 per cord. Of course I mound it up a little. I want them to be happy and I put a piece of plywood over the top to keep it dry.
I call it beer money. I average 1 rack a week so far and that is almost exactly how much it costs to keep me in beer for a week!
I do have a note on the sign that says delivery and larger quantities available but no calls yet.
I prefer this way!
Summer time should be good too because everyone loves campfires and those bundles at the gas station are crazy! $5 for 9 skinny splits?
I might try to capitilze on that a little bit this summer. Bigger bundles same price. There is money to be made and besides I drink way more beer in the summer than winter!;)

I keep an eye on firewood prices so I can enjoy how much I am saving by cutting my own!

Around here, in Vermont, a full cord of seasoned hardwood -- maple, beech, birch -- goes for about $250. I don't know anybody who stacks for customers, unless it's for an old lady, or something.

Here in Long Island NY prices vary tremendously as does the interpretation of what a cord is stacked or thrown, along with log type. Lots of face cords and shorts being passed off by lots of newbies. We've heard more complaints since SS Sandy than in the past 10 years or more. Suppose all the regular local F/W crews are hearing the same complaints. ( Those complaints sure are good for us straight up and honest load folks aren't they ). Guess the bottom feeders have invaded F/W.
Been surfing old threads and hadn't seen one on geographic pricing. Was just curious.

Another East Ender !! Been hearing the same too; and the "WTF 200 a cord I get a cord for 100 from a guy I know" .. I tell them to go get it and when you need some dry wood to get your green **** to burn I charge 250 a cord. :D

Next August-September here is going to be really interesting for us on the Island price-wise. I may not sell anything due to the crap going on with these fly-by-night "firewood experts" that are popping up. I have two steady customers who don't even question my prices and they already have me booked for next year at the same price. I'm lucky there. First jack*** that tries to lowball me can go get their cheep wood.

Seeing already longisland craiglist is inundated with ads for firewood.

Good customers stick buy you had one call me but i was out called back and said he was buying everthing early from me the dry woodhe got was running sap when it warmed up from some one else.

Doesnt it take 2 years to season hard woods? Where could you store something for 2 years? I dont think a tarp is adequate?
For me, I have given up on seasoning. I just cut cedars and put them in fireplace within week and they burn fine.

I was thinking about selling a few cord so I checked prices on CL. They are selling at $50 a face cord and that is delivered in a 30-40 mile range. I couldn't believe it. No way I could compete with that.
So I said to heck with it. I'll cater to the locals that don't burn a lot of wood and don't really need full cords or even face cords.
I built a rack at the end of my driveway. 4 foot long and 2 foot high. Screwed a coffe can to the side and a sign that reads $15.
It is nice dry ash, hard maple and cherry. I mix each rack so they get an assortment.
That would be $180 per cord. Of course I mound it up a little. I want them to be happy and I put a piece of plywood over the top to keep it dry.
I call it beer money. I average 1 rack a week so far and that is almost exactly how much it costs to keep me in beer for a week!
I do have a note on the sign that says delivery and larger quantities available but no calls yet.
I prefer this way!
Summer time should be good too because everyone loves campfires and those bundles at the gas station are crazy! $5 for 9 skinny splits?
I might try to capitilze on that a little bit this summer. Bigger bundles same price. There is money to be made and besides I drink way more beer in the summer than winter!;)

Sold one this morning after I posted this and I refilled the rack right away. Just had to re-fill it again. This person left me $17 instead of the required $15. Treat 'em right and they will let you know one way or the other! Maybe I'll sell another one tomorrow!:msp_biggrin:

Doesnt it take 2 years to season hard woods? Where could you store something for 2 years? I dont think a tarp is adequate?
For me, I have given up on seasoning. I just cut cedars and put them in fireplace within week and they burn fine.

If you have it well off the ground and loosely stacked, one year is good enough seasoning.

As to where to stack it..in your yard???

Now, OK, you have access to cedar logs, which means you can get other wood off the ground well. No need for pallets or anything else. Make two layers high cedar logs, criss cross them. Space the top layer so you can lay rows o splits across them, leaving air space underneath. Now stack your hard wood on that. Criss cross stacking allows a lot more air flow, you probably need that where you live. Stack it up well, watch the leans... gravity works...dont ask me how I know this....

;)

Top of the hard wood stacks, add another layer of just a few cedar logs, now stretch your tarp across that. Just cover the top and a little down the side to drip off rain and keep the snow off, then tie it down well. Now you have air flow from underneath, the sides, and at the top it can flow some too.

You should always strive to be at least two years ahead, this makes the wood about as dry as practical, plus..its insurance man, honest real practical peace of mind insurance. Stuff happens. Like having a well stocked pantry, extra fuel for the genny, a home medical kit, self defense and hunting tools, etc. Real insurance, not piece of paper insurance.

Last edited:
Seasoning depends on the wood and where you are.

6 months if fine, a couple of years and I try and mix it as it would be very dry.

Adverts I have seen max $150 for a full cord, not sure if many are getting that.

There seems to be a lot in the yards I passed, most people have not used anything like they would in a normal winter.

If you buy logs it is basically the cost of transportation. I can get standing dead and downed for 'free' locally.

Should have mention you can get a Forestry permit for $15 a cord, I have no idea how they police how much you have taken.

Back