What does F/W generally cost per cord in your area ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of those prices.....wow.

either natural gas must be expensive in some areas or people haven't figured out that it might be cheaper just to use their furnaces.

not knocking you sellers, if you can make the money, more power to you all. i heat with wood all season long, but, if i had to pay for it, i'd enjoy just running the furnace instead and probably break out even.

either natural gas must be expensive in some areas or people haven't figured out that it might be cheaper just to use their furnaces.

not knocking you sellers, if you can make the money, more power to you all. i heat with wood all season long, but, if i had to pay for it, i'd enjoy just running the furnace instead and probably break out even.

The balance point where I am is about $260 a cord. But I do not have NG, that is for Propane. NG would be in the hundreds.

Sold one this morning after I posted this and I refilled the rack right away. Just had to re-fill it again. This person left me $17 instead of the required $15. Treat 'em right and they will let you know one way or the other! Maybe I'll sell another one tomorrow!:msp_biggrin:

I'd make $20 in the summer for the "turists" and then buy better beer.:hmm3grin2orange:

No one really sells a "cord" around here. Some ass-hat farmer sells a dump trailer for upwards of 160.00 a load, no stackin'. His wood is un-seasoned and includes hollow limbs full of dirt and ants, limbs sticking off the sides of bigger pieces, crotches,,man, you name it. He sells to some of the poor un-fortunates who are having the guv;ment subsidize their heat.
The beer can pick-up guys sell a truck load for 45-50 bucks a truck load, some stack it some don't.

The couple of guys I partner with all try to stay in price sync with the real deal hard working tree guys here in Long Island. We burn 40 plus cord in our homes annually and anything else is a bonus, so this season has produced a monumental surplus of sorts. Been running 3 splitters 5 hours a day since January.
It's not hard to identify the "open the suitcase guys" that do instant business that Sandy birthed and CL crews are tearing things up across the country with budget prices and shorts that almost always end in unhappy customers that seek out the good guys.

We decided to encourage pickup as much as possible to keep costs down and suggested spring delivery to allow seasoning at the customers location to free up space. 20% were receptive and took delivery to save a buck or three. Another 25% said summer at the earliest which is ok if they will take an early a.m. delivery, dumped, not stacked. 40 % said they didn't want the early delivery and would pay normal local market price in early winter. The rest want December January delivery and want to negotiate the price, and demand stacking be included. These same folks expect availability in February and March at the same price regardless of weather conditions. Go figure !

Thanks to all who've responded so far. Great info and insight into the big picture for sure !

There are 4 guys close to me selling green mixed hardwood, mostly ash I'd guess, for $45 a face cord (1/3 cord). The closest is 1 mile away, his sign says nothing about delivery. Every one of the sellers has the wood stacked out between 2 fence posts so it can be measured out before purchase. There is another fella who stores all his wood under roof and will deliver a full cord for $140 with his dually and dump trailer. That covers a 10 mile radius for delivery, which I happen to fall in. Not much money to be made in the business firewood around here.

The couple of guys I partner with all try to stay in price sync with the real deal hard working tree guys here in Long Island. We burn 40 plus cord in our homes annually and anything else is a bonus, so this season has produced a monumental surplus of sorts. Been running 3 splitters 5 hours a day since January.
It's not hard to identify the "open the suitcase guys" that do instant business that Sandy birthed and CL crews are tearing things up across the country with budget prices and shorts that almost always end in unhappy customers that seek out the good guys.

We decided to encourage pickup as much as possible to keep costs down and suggested spring delivery to allow seasoning at the customers location to free up space. 20% were receptive and took delivery to save a buck or three. Another 25% said summer at the earliest which is ok if they will take an early a.m. delivery, dumped, not stacked. 40 % said they didn't want the early delivery and would pay normal local market price in early winter. The rest want December January delivery and want to negotiate the price, and demand stacking be included. These same folks expect availability in February and March at the same price regardless of weather conditions. Go figure !

Thanks to all who've responded so far. Great info and insight into the big picture for sure !

i don't discount for out of season delivery. it costs to much for the work & equiptment.as said before quality sells.

Most of the prices I've seen here in the Burlington, VT area are around $250/cord for seasoned wood, delivered within 10-20 miles of the seller. Unseasoned seems to be closer to $200 or a bit more. I had a couple cords of logs delivered earlier this year for $150/cord to supplement what I'm able to cut as I'm in my first year at this house, so trying to put away enough this summer to get a couple years ahead for better seasoning and just to have the extra there if needed.

I've never heard of anyone stacking it for you either here or in the Adirondacks in NY where I grew up, but it also never would have occurred to me to ask.

3 splitters 5 hours a day...you have a couple hundred cords split up by now?

I have no idea what firewood (by the cord) sells for around here, although I see some CL adds for pickup loads running anywhere from $50 to $100, unspecified mixed hardwood... but...
Last fall, a guy stopped and asked about buying a row of my cut, split, stacked and two-year seasoned Burr Oak... and I told him he couldn't afford me. He insisted I put a price on it... so I quickly figured (in my head) my time, cost of gas and oil, wear 'n' tear on equipment, what it was worth in LP replacement, and then added a worthwhile profit. I looked him square in the eye and said, "OK, I'll take $650.oo per cord... that would be $1300.oo per row... you haul it." He called me an A-Hole, I told him that comment had blown any chance for a free beer while he loaded it, and at least I'd be a warm A-Hole come winter. (shrug)

Very Close to My Price

I don't buy or sell it. But it seems to go for about $200 per cord delivered in my area.
I sell it for about $180 a cord delivered--mixed hardwoods, ash, locust, maple, elm, hackberry, mulberry, and sometimes walnut if I can get it. That's two medium pickup truckload deliveries. One pickup truckload stacked cab high is $100 and that's good for about 80 cu ft. All of it is seasoned dry.

That's the thing. Time to some people isn't worth cutting/splitting/stacking/etc etc.. Just easy enough to buy and support the locals. Also it's a networking thing; they find out you can cut lawns, cleanups, shrubs, fix stuff here and there. It all works out in the end.

That's the thing. Time to some people isn't worth cutting/splitting/stacking/etc etc.. Just easy enough to buy and support the locals. Also it's a networking thing; they find out you can cut lawns, cleanups, shrubs, fix stuff here and there. It all works out in the end.

There is a really easy way to wind up with a million bucks selling firewood. Start with two million bucks. :popcorn:

Back