What does "X" mean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K9-Handler

K9-Handler

ArboristSite Operative
Hi, Experts! :)

I recently bought a used MS 440 that looks to be in really good condition (except for a really dull chain).

While looking at the serial number, there is a small "x" at the start of the number.

Hoping this doesn't mean it was a factory rebuild, or something.

Am I over thinking this? Did I buy an X-rated saw?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

K9-Handler

K9-Handler

ArboristSite Operative
more clues

Just to be a little clearer...

The numbers of the serial number look like they were made with a laser -- they are a series of dots. The leading "X" was definitly stamped in with a letter punch.

Which is why I was suspicious in the first place. It doesn't look like the "X" was done at the same time as the digits. :confused:

icelation8

icelation8

ArboristSite Member
the first digit in the serial number is country of origin. If its an older saw its possible that it was left off there was a time that stihl did that. Post the serial number.

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
The X means it was pulled at random from the line and among other things, pressure tested... You'll also see other marks - they are just the factory marking what they did as part of QA.

Last edited:
Banshee

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
It means it was built by 'nudist'. :greenchainsaw:

Andy will come along later and clarify it for you. :clap:

You see nothing good can possibly come from nudity and chainsaws.
I mean your one badly place cut from losing your manhood and having the worse day of your life.

But on the bright side I would have a 16 inch jig on hand to measure the blocks with.

skinnykid02

skinnykid02

ArboristSite Operative
You see nothing good can possibly come from nudity and chainsaws.
I mean your one badly place cut from losing your manhood and having the worse day of your life.

But on the bright side I would have a 16 MM jig on hand to measure the blocks with.

:greenchainsaw: