What file holds up and puts on the edge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finch

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am going to get some new files for this season.I was wondering what one hold up the best with the best edge on the chain. I am going threw oregon files. Seems like they don't hold up.Like they use a softer grade.

Finch

I have used Stihl, Pferd, Oregon and Save Edge and Save Edge is by far the best file.

Vallorbe and Viaila seem to be a good bang for the buck. Think of files as expendables and budget accordingly; an expensive file isn't going to be enough better than a cheap one to guarantee that you'll get more run-time behind the saw as a result of spending more money. Buy by the box when you can, and above all, keep the bar outta the dirt; nothing will kill a file quicker than re-profiling a few rocked chains.

I have a oregon 511A for re-profiling the chain if I do hit a rock and putting back the angle and pitch after I sharping the chain with the 5-7 times..I just do a light touch up with it. I will try a save edge. I know that I will not go back too oregon file agian.

Been happy with Save End files. They work well, hold up, and leave a keen edge on cutters.

Its a file....its supposed to wear out....

Oregon round files are about $12.00 a dozen....

not really sure what you are expecting from them....

are you pushing to hard and wearing them out to fast?

What file holds up and puts on the edge

A metal one would be preferred, sorry I had to be a smart azz for a minute. I bought a three piece set from Harbor Freight for $5 that seems to be holding up fairly well, the 7/32 gets the most work here.

3 Piece Chain Saw File Set

image_9808.jpg

Get a foot of cheap clear vinyl tubing from the auto parts store and slide it over the file before you toss it in the chainsaw bucket and it will last a lot longer.

Drinking straws work pretty well for a file protector as well.

There are a few things you can do to get the best from a file.

The first thing is to break it in properly. Think of a sharp pencil point, if you use it carefully to being with the point will wear just a little and hold up well, if you press too hard to begin with you will break it - same with file teeth.

Another is to keep it clean, I try to remember to tap it after each cutter to knock the loose filings out.

As already noted, protect a file when not in use by using a straw or a piece of tubing, etc.

Finally, if you use a file guide like the File-O-Plate, don't bare down so hard against the plate, that hardened stainless steel will knock the edge off a file faster than anything.

Mark

heimannm...My wife is from New Hartford IA.

Yea I don't press down hard on the file or use them hard..Try too make them last as long as I can..

You can make files last longer if you give them a little lube before use. I like to use Kriol. Stuff works great and it is acidic so it helps keep the files sharp just like the vinegar idea. If I don’t hit anything, I can go about 1 file to one chain. I have never really noticed any significant difffrence between file manufactures and I usually just use stihl cuz I can get em cheap.

Oregon files are good for oregon chains. If you have harder chains such as stihl, woodlandpro then you need a better file such as pferd or save edge. A new oregon file will only sharpen a few teeth of stihl or woodlandpro before its dull. Also there is a kit you can buy for a dremel to sharpen chains. Just go on ebay and get some diamond bits and your set. It works really good. Use the lowest setting on the dremel. If you use the higher speed settings it will burn the tooth. Making it almost impossible to resharpen it.

Just buy save edge files (either through baileys or direct from saveedge) and forget about everything else. They are way better than the others.

Most of the other files you will buy are the same. Timber savage, frost bite, stihl, oregon, husqvarna, woodland pro, vallorbe, etc, etc, are all the same brand.

Pferd files were almost as bad as the chinese ones as far as durability goes when I tried them.

You can oil, tap, clean, brush, chalk, etc etc etc files to make them last longer.

But honestly, just buy the save edge. They dont even cost more than other files.

I've had people tell me to completely tap out the file after each stroke, or to take a rag and really clean it after each stroke. #### that, i dont have time for that ####.

I use Stihl and they do last longer than the Oregons, which is the only other brand I have used. I think I will throw a box of the Save Edge files in the Baileys cart next time around.
I do something similar to what has been mentioned above to protect my files; I have two pieces of vacuum line to store them in. I drilled two sets of two holes through the side of a 5 gal bucket and used two zip ties to hold the tubing in place against the side. I can always find them and they are protected from moisture and banging.

Last edited:
I have used Stihl, Pferd, Oregon and Save Edge and Save Edge is by far the best file.

I agree. As mentioned above most files are made by Vallorbe anyway.

I've used Stihl, Oregon, Husky, Chinese :)(), Pferd, um, and a few more. Save Edge is the best by miles and every customer I've sold them to has agreed. Many of thse customers aren't AS members either so not sucked in by the hype - except it's not hype :) They cut quick yet have found that fine line between being too aggressive or too slow. Try removing lots of cutter damage with a Pferd, you'll be there all day. I like basically everything Pferd makes, but their chainsaw files are garbage.

As a rule I am doing a solid filing every tank of fuel as I generally cut dirty wood and use semi chisel chain. I thought something was up the other day after replacing a new file and realised somehow I'd grabbed a new Husky file. I thought I'd used them all up but it was instantly apparent that I wasn't using a Save Edge as it cut as slow as a wet week.

By the way I'm also a Vallorbe dealer but would much rather use and sell Save Edge.

Back