What happened here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed K

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What has happened to all the loggers on this site?:( Its cold to work, there should be many new threads and replys to old.:confused: Come on guys get something going!!!:D

Archaeological sites

How many of you loggers out ther find archaelogical sites on your jobs that are not marked , right now were working on a 150 acre clearcut and at the bottom of one hill near a creek, someone a many years ago digging out a few deep crevices and beside them is these platforms about 30 feet wide 100 feet long thats built out of rock, mineing something, no road to it, or now anyway, the outfit we are working for don't care about it but we are trying not to destroy it, just curious to see what any one else finds out there.

The only archaelogical things I have ever found so far is a bunch of Indian arrow heads on top of rock walls and on the ground near them,only one time I did find one almost grown into a red oak only about 3/8ths of a inch sticking out right near where I was making a bucking cut I thought it was a neet find..

Items we come across in the woods

Does anyone recall D.B. Cooper?

He's an American Folk hero. Didn't exactly commandeer a 727 but they landed and provided a huge ransom in cash, they took off and he bailed-out of the rear hatch over the Columbia River gorge I think around 5,500 feet. Lot's of piles of $20 bills were found but not the majority of the stash, no one ever found his chute or other evidence (in other words - he got away with it).

He's reported to have settled in Texas, grew fat and started a meth lab until he got busted but was never implicated as the D.B. that did the deed.

The area the remnants of bucks were found were stands of old growth cedar and some pines, some selective logging was going on and I suspect some of our types of guys suddenly happened upon some party money. More power to them. It would've been the kind of party I like to frequent. This is the kind of archeology I'd like to uncover someday - the only report of a significant find I can relay is a human skeleton, still rotting with some goose-down vest left on the torso. The cops who responded trested me like I was the guy who killed him. ???????s. It turned-out to be an Alzheimer's run away from a nursing home 20 miles away a month before. I am wondering about East Texas now, where debris from the shuttle landed - it's all forested and logged intensely.

WE have arrowheads here by the zillions, mostly on top and near mounds that indicated years of fire building and napping flint. Most are of the Pedernales (kind of like a Clovis point) variety, reported to be around 5,000 years old. I have hundreds of them.

C

The only archeological sites I've come across in the woods have been ones left by loggers. Old donkey sleds, drag buckets, cable, and chokers. Pretty cool stuff, how old does something have to be to have archeological significance anyway?

Lat year while helping a service forester mark timber, we found an old TD18 with a sled. Had the blade up on a rock and a tree 12" DBI growing behind the blade next to the radiator. We,re figuring at least 20 - 25 yrs since last logging done.

I've got afew crosscut saws a couple axe heads and lots of stuff like single and double trees that used to be hooked to mule set ups, my dad was cutting out here in the 70s and came across a crosscut buried up in about a 24" pine, the forest service came out and built a fence around it.

Archaelogical sight

Iam liven with an archaelogical sight. She's settin in a chair across the room watchin Oprah.

my crew and I found an old graveyard once. These were the oldest graves I have ever came across, some dated to mid-1800's. There were several civil war soldiers as well as numerous clild/baby graves. I don't know when the last time someone had visited this grave site, but it had obviously been a while.

There's an old cemetary in one of the swamps around here that dates to the mid 1700's.

Back