What happens to new climbers?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have to say that there is a lot of information out there from all over the country. You guys have been great in leading me in the right direction. What does a someone who wants to be a climber do to make sure he's going to climb. Not get tricked into being the go-for boy. I know you have to learn, but you want to make sure your going to learn....because I want to be a climber. Money right now is not important. i'd rather get paid a little less and learn a whole lot....In a way I know if you sart out at $6.75 you would have to look at it this way. The guy you work for is spending time and money to train you....and if you work hard and give 120% you'll be making pretty good with in a couple of years....

I think you'll tell by the end of the first day. New hires are always draggers but if they answer your questions and tell you whay they do things then your on good ground.

If you find yourself with a guy who just cuts as fast as possible you may not be likin' the work.

I work for a number of different companies and they are all different. But all ahev a certain amount of respect for the trees. If they give you the feeling that they are only in it for money, then find another place.

I questioned a guys method in pruning crab apples once. "wont that cause a lot of suckers?" "Suckers are job security!" He replied. I did not stay long.

I agree with John and also will add that There are People meant to be climbers and there are people meant to be draggers .What i'm attempting to say is not everyone is meant to be a climber If your Boss thinks you meant to climb he will probably give you the opporatunity.

Well, i think........

No guys i really do!

i kinda have been guilty of keeping guy on ground for a while; work your way up? Look at it as pre-flight training; ground school. Tell them the are getting to be pile-its; that sounds close doesn't it?

Of course in that time; they are getting massive exposure; and many lessons. Some of the most determinant of speed of that process is their attentiveness on the job, and what they come back retaining the next day, week. Like how long it takes them to learn knots, practicing a lot at home; not to screw them around; but that is how i passionately did it. i have tied many cloves, bowlines etc. around thigh, and pulled tight to get 'feel' while watching tv.

i try to fill them with wealthy background; always see them need it! Then once actually off ground; progress starts depending also on what jobs come up.

When I started working for a tree company about 5 years ago, I pretty much dragged brush for those 2 years. However the boss taught me how to work chain saws, how to tie knots, and slowly but surely how to get my butt up into the tree. After working with him for the first year I went to a vocational school for 2 years and gained some formal training there. Mostly though I gained my training from watching others work. I learned about new tools to make jobs go easier. Then I just went out and got jobs. If I couldn't do them I got somebody who could. I watched them and learned. I met and hired a few greenhorns over the years who knew a lot less than I did. I had a guy this past year who I was training. He was the best ground man I had ever had. I started to train him to climb early in the summer, however we had a falling out between us and he was dismissed. Like John said though, some people are meant to stay on the ground, others were born to swing from trees.

Trying to locate an ex student

Froggy,

Please send me an email. I am trying to locate one of my exstudents who last lived in Boone. She was looking for a job and I had a lead for her in the area.

Bob Underwood [email protected]

Uhh, Dave said that:D .

I do agree tho. But I think it is the individuals desision.

I always encouraged people to try, get them up in crabs and norway maples so they can get the feel.

The TV knot learning is also one of my favorites. How hungry is this person to learn? It is not just that you learn it faster, but that your muscles need to know how to do some knots while your mind is on othere things. Muscle memory, is what it is called. Yelling at the guys on the ground to not use a foot to feed the chipper while tieing a running bo'lin and if I gotta come down there....

Sorry bout that Dave. :(

John, already up to 2000 posts I see? :eek: That didn't take you long at all.

I got in on this late.

There is another area we need to see interest in as well. Getting up, around and back down a tree is all good, but what are ya gonna do while your there? There is more to being a good climber than just climbing. Learn what to cut, what to leave. How to put it where you want it. How, and Why. Sure you'll learn the fastest once you get "up close and personal", but start now, you'll get there quicker.

Louie Hampton

The newest climber we have was a fresh out of college forestry major that did not know anything about tree work other than knowing have to cut firewood. On his third day he was on his way up a tree we sent him up a pine tree removal. he went up and cut the first limb and came down. We like to get them of the ground as soon as we can. 16 months later he is almost ready to be a d level foreman.

We had him put on a pair of spikes and a saddle and go up about 20 ft then come down. start small then work up.

hey there boone-boy(bb). i did only a couple of days draggin' brush before i was up in a tree dead-wooding a big hemlock..i had good rock climbing experience and skills and i bugged the s**t out of my mentor to show me the ropes. start with the comfy stuff like deadwooding to gain confidence in your gear and yourself...don't be in a hurry. also, recreational tree climbing is very satisfying and allows you to become familiar with different techniques before you take up a hand saw. climb brother...get in the breeze....practice outside of work. start slow..climb safe. b

Climbers

Good question! What happens to climbers period, they seem to be as rare as hens' teeth around here. I think a lot of young people went into high tech as it is not cool to get hot, cold, sweaty or dirty at one's place of employment. Some people are cut out to work at heights, and others are not. I developed a very healthy appreciation for heights over a parachuting career of 822 descents, that was put on hold, temporarily I hope, two years ago when I essentially fell the last 30 feet and crushed my lower spine and broke my radial arm bone in two. I am new to this whole tree thing, but I have had fun this spring removing a norway maple that was too close to my house, and am now pruning my crabapple tree. Not too sure what the future will hold as I think I am a little too old to start this activity, and my tolerance for knot tieing is zilch. So for nowI will concentrate on being a great ground guy, however if the opportunity presents itself I will give climbing a go.

Jumper

"If you can't tie knots, tie lots.":p

Latest posts

Back