What if...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainsawmanXX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If you were to start your own chainsaw manufacturing company... What would you do different then all your competion?

i'd have one model in each general size (30-45cc, 45-60cc, 60-70cc, 70-80cc, 80-90cc) with three versions of each model. one version would already have the power maximized (porting, mm, etc.), one version would be stock, the other somewhere in between with a build-your-own selection feature. As many parts as possible would be interchangeable, especially ignition parts, between all models.
course these would have to be built off shore so as to not have to conform to EPA rqmts and would have to be black market saws for the same reason.

I'd make a left handed model and a model with bicycle handles like a clearing saw worn on suspenders that pivots and drops into the cut on a bearing.

Electric start, 4-stroke, 2 cylinder, liquid cooled. On a height-adjustable tripod with 3 motorized swivel-casters and a 360 degree rotation on the power-head end to remove the bulk of the weight. Oh, and a remote control and power feed !!!

What makes older chainsaws interesting is that it was a field with a lot of smaller manufacturers trying a lot of different ideas. Not all of them were even good ideas, but because the market was not matured there was a lot of interesting stuff going on. Now, chainsaws design has mostly stabilized on one basic architecture, except for when very compact and light saws are needed and then they use a horizontal cylinder because it really is better in that regard.

But if you're going to go into a mature market with something new and different, it better be really superior. Look at RedMax - they worked out strato, and it was really better, but they never could get the market share and so now they're yet another Husqvarna brand. They had to do contract design and re-badging for McCulloch, Sears, Ryobi, etc. just to keep the volume up. It's hard to beat a state-of-the-art saw with strato and AutoTune.

You could try to make a "boutique" retro saw like an older Mac, but add A/V, strato and AutoTune. Might get some small, high-end market.

8hp 50cc saws that weigh 3 pounds. Wouldn't need anything else in my "lineup"

If you were to start your own chainsaw manufacturing company... What would you do different then all your competion?

Right off the bat it would be pretty hard as it would be near impossible to build a modern saw because of patents and so on. You could build one, but not sell it. Anything you could design to beat patents, wouldn't beat the epa.

If there was a way around that (there might be, have to be pretty rad though...), chainsaw kits! Designed from scratch to be super easy to assemble and service and modify. Full owners and maintenance/service manual INCLUDED with the saw, paper and on disc, sold online/mail order only, no dealers required. Only one grade, pro grade. Five sizes, 30 to 110 cc in 20 cc jumps, plus a tophandle and a pole saw that uses that same powerhead. Try to design it to incoporate as many cheap and unctional aftermarket parts as possible, stuff that is already out there, piston and cylinder kits, etc. Some sort of cheap good ignition system. Look at what carbs out there have stood the test of time, use those. Pick a standard easily found bar mount/ existing bars.

All of them would have a manual oiler button as well as the automatic oiler.

I'd have Randy Evans (Mastermind) be my spokesperson (in long pants, or overalls) of course.

I'd bring back a saw as close to the Homelite 750 as legally possible (with and Oregon D009 mount).

I would only manufacture mid range, and pro saws.

I'd have hats, and shirts available to loyal supporters (Darin? *hint* *hint*)

Back